LOCKINGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.
Wapentake of Harthill (Bainton Beacon Division) - County Council Electoral Division of Etton - Petty Sessional Division of North Hunsley Beacon - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Beverley - Rural Deanery of Beverley - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
Lockington, called in the Domesday Survey, Locheton, comprises the township of its own name, and also that of Aike, but their boundaries are not conterminous with those of the ecclesiastical parish, part of the former being included in the parish of Kilnwick, and part of the latter in that of St. John, Beverley. Lockington township contains, according to the rate books, 2,636 acres, rateable value, £3,354, and of these figures, 396 acres are in Kilnwick parish. The population in 1891 was 488. The soil is various, but mostly clay, the subsoil, chalk and clay. Most of the land is under the plough, the chief crops being wheat, oats, barley, beans, and turnips. Lord Hotham, who is lord of the manor; the rector in right of his church, and D, Burton, Esq., of Cherry Burton, are the principal landowners.
The Malolacus or Mauleys were anciently lords of Lockington, and from them the manor passed to the Bigods of Settrington, by the marriage of Constance, daughter and heiress of Peter de Mauley. Sir Francis Bigod was executed at Tyburn, for his participation in the second rising of the Pilgrimage of Grace. It subsequently passed through other families to the ancestors of the present owner.
The village is situated about six miles north-by-west from Beverley, eight miles south from Driffield, and about two miles west from Lockington station, on the Hull and Scarborough branch of the North-Eastern railway. The church of St. Mary is an ancient edifice consisting of chancel, nave with a chapel on the south side separated from it by two pointed arches, and an embattled western tower of brick containing two bells. On the south side of the nave is a mutilated Norman doorway. The south chapel was originally beautified by John Estoft, Esq., in 1634, and was restored by the Rev. Charles Constable, of Wassand, in 1851. It is wainscotted round in small panels, displaying 173 shields of arms. Adjoining it is a mausoleum in which are buried some of the Constables of Wassand. Against the south wall of the chapel is an altar monument bearing the full length effigy of a lady, holding in one hand a book while the other rests on a skull. Above is a pediment with figures representing Faith, Charity, and Justice, and on the dado of the tomb are four boys kneeling before an altar, with open books. The figures of the lady and boys are in gold and colours. The monument is to the memory of Maria, daughter of Dr. Meriton, who died in 1633. There are 200 sittings. The living is a rectory, valued in the Liber Regis at £20, and now worth £460 net, with residence, in the gift of Sir James Walker, Bart., and held by the Rev. Arthur Hammond Griffith, M.A. (Cam.) The tithes were commuted at the inclosure in 1772, partly for land, and partly for a yearly modus. The tithe-rent charge is £120, and there are 260 acres of glebe. The church yard was enlarged in 1891 by the addition of half-an-acre of land given by Lord Hotham.
The Wesleyan Chapel was rebuilt in 1879, at a cost of £250, and the Primitive Methodist chapel in 1862, at a cost of £220.
The National School, built in 1844, and enlarged by the addition of a classroom in 1875, is attended by 60 children.
About three miles east of the village, on the farm of Mr. Dunning, is an artificial mound called Barfe or Barrow Hill. It was formerly surrounded by a moat, and foundations of buildings have been met with. There is a tradition that Oliver Cromwell planted his cannon on this hill, from which he battered the walls of Walton Abbey, about two miles distant. Hall Garth, an ancient house with a coat of arms over the porch, bears the date 1685. Near it is the moated site of the old hall.
AIKE, is a small township containing 630 acres, of which 484 are in the parish of Lockington, and the remainder in that of St. John, Beverley. The rateable valuable is £429, and the population in 1891 was 63. The soil is various, in some places strong land, and in others moory; wheat, oats, barley, turnips, and mangolds are grown. Lord Hotham is lord of the manor, and principal landowner. Previous to the construction of the Barmston and Beverley drain, the lands in the township were frequently under water, and are still subject to floods in the winter time. The village is small and stands five-and-a-half miles northby-east of Beverley. A school was erected here in 1838. It is attended by about 16 children. Church services are held in it. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here, a small structure of wood, built in 1885, at an expense of £113.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]
- Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1892.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.