Hide

LONDESBOROUGH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"LONDESBOROUGH, a parish in the Holme-Beacon division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N. from Market- Weighton, containing, with the hamlet of East Thorpe, 244 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the Icing's books at £16, and in the patronage of the Duke of Devonshire. The church is dedicated to All Saints. An hospital for twelve poor persons, being aged bachelors, widowers, or widows, was founded here by the first Earl and Countess of Burlington; it is now in the patronage of the Duke of Devonshire. Londesborough was, for several generations, the seat of the Clifford family, and in the village, park, and gardens, several Roman coins, and repositories of the dead, have been discovered, on which account, Dr. Drake, considers it to have been the Roman station Delgovitia. The Roman road from Brough is continued in a line to Londesborough park."


"EAST THORPE, a hamlet in the parish of LONDESBOROUGH, Holme-Beacon division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles N. from Market-Weighton. The population is returned with the parish."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]