LONDESBOROUGH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"LONDESBOROUGH, a parish in the Holme Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, East Riding county York, 2½ miles N.W. of Market Weighton, its post town, and 5 S.E. of Pocklington. It is situated on the Roman highway, Ermine Street, and is supposed to occupy the site of the ancient Delgovitia. The parish includes the hamlet of Easthorpe. The Clifford family were the former possessors, from whom the property afterwards passed to the Duke of Devonshire. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £798. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient stone edifice, with a square tower. It contains several marble monuments, antique brasses, and a stone font. There are almshouses for twelve persons, founded by the Earl and Countess of Burlington in 1680, with an endowment of £100 per annum. The other small charities amount to about £3. There is a National school for both sexes. Coins and numerous Roman remains have been found in the neighbourhood. Londesborough Park is the seat of Lord Londesborough, who is lord of the manor, and whose title of baron is derived from this place."
"EAST THORPE, a hamlet in the parish of Londesborough, Holme-Beacon division of Harthill wapentake, East Riding county York, 3 miles N. of Market Weighton."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013