[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"LONG RISTON, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 6½ miles ENE. of Beverley. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret (see Churches for photograph), appears to be of great antiquity, and the living, which is a rectory in the patronage of the crown, is enjoyed by the Rev. James Torre. Pop. 361."
"ARNOLD, in the parishes of Long Riston and Swine, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 3½ miles N. of Swine, 7 miles ENE. of Beverley. Population, 101."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of over 210 gravestones and plaques at Long Riston church with linked surname index.
- Transcript of the entry for Long Riston in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Long Riston.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Long Riston to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA125425 (Lat/Lon: 53.866528, -0.290667), Long Riston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The World War I Roll of Honour in St. Margaret's Church, Long Riston.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish