LONG RISTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"LONG RISTON, a parish in the wapentake of Holderness, East Riding county York, 6½ miles N.E. of Beverley, its post town, and 9 N.E. of Hull. The village, which is chiefly agricultural, is irregularly built, but situated at a considerable elevation. The soil is a strong clay, and the land chiefly arable. The parish comprises part of the township of Arnold. The glebe comprises 160 acres. The living is a rectory with the vicarage* of Hornsea annexed, in the diocese of York. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, has a tower containing two bells. The church has undergone thorough restoration. The register dates from 1657. There is an endowed school for both sexes. The Independents and Primitive Methodists have places of worship. Riston Grange is the principal residence."
"ARNOLD, a township in the parishes of Swine and Long Riston, wapentake of Holderness, in the East Riding of the county of York, 6 miles from Beverley."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013