Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: LOW CATTON.     Church dedication: ALL SAINTS.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area, 8,150 acres. Harthill wapentake. Wilton Beacon *1. -Population, 1,095 *2; Church-room, 500; Net value, £410. -In the time of King Edward the Confessor this town was held by Harold, Earl of the West Saxons, and after the Conquest came to the Lords Percies, and was held of the honour of Chester.

Patron, the Earl of Egremont.

The Church is an ancient Rectory, of the patronage of the Percies, and from them came to the Dukes of Somerset, and was one of the livings given by the Duke to the Crown in exchange for Petworth, by Act of Parliament, 4th and 5th William and Mary, in consequence of which the Crown presented in 1737 and 1755. However, the Earl of Egremont established his right to the presentation, and accordingly presented in 1787 and 1816.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £40; in the King's books, at £21. 12s. 8d.; Synodals and Procurations, 14s.; and Thraves, £1. 6s. 8d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 392, at £120. 6s. per annum, where it is stated : " Kexby pays in lieu of all tithes, £4. 5s. 6d. Scorby pays in lieu of all tithes, £2. 13s. 4d. There are also certain closes in East Hunsley that pay in lieu of tithes, £1. 17s. 2d. Burton House ditto, £1. 10s.;" which last is recommended to be united to Full Sutton.

" Endowed with all tithes great and small. The yearly value is above £30 per annum." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 116.

An Inclosure Act was passed 33rd Geo. II.

The glebe house was returned in 1818 as unfit for residence, being " in a ruinous state, but about to be rebuilt." In 1834, the return was, " Glebe house unfit."

The Register Books commence in 1592.

Charities:
Mr. Hammond Dealtary's, Mr. William Dealtary's, Mr. George Dealtary's, and Mrs. Margaret Dealtary's Charities. Rent of 1a. 2r. of land, let, at the time of the Report, for £1. 15s. per annum, distributed to the poor.

The Rev. Henry Dealtary's charity, in 1753. £5 to the poor of Upper Catton.

John Horsley's charity, by will. 20s. to the poor of the parish.

Henry Lazenby's Charities, by will. 20s., and 20s. to the poor of Upper and Lower Catton.

Richard Lofthouse's charity. £3 to the poor of the parish. -There are also several sums on bond, amounting to £10, which were formerly given to the poor of this parish.

Thomas Chapman's charity, in 1750. The interest of £1 to three of the best ringers that can be obtained on Christmas-day yearly. One shilling is paid to the ringers at Christmas, and the rest, with the sacrament money, is apportioned at Easter among the overseers of the different townships, who distribute it to their poor in small sums of 1s. or 2s. each person.

William Headlam's charity. rent charge of £2. 12s., given in bread weekly.

TOWNSHIP OF HIGH CATTON.

Richard Gell's charity, by will, dated 20th April 1712. 3s. per annum to the poor of Upper Catton.

Wood's dole, vide Pocklington. 3s. 4d. per annum to the poor.

TOWNSHIP OF LOW CATTON.

Wood's dole, vide Pocklington. 3s. 4d. per annum to the poor.

TOWNSHIP OF KEXBY.

William Headlam's charity. rent charge of £5. 4s. per annum, distributed at Christmas among the poor not receiving parochial relief, in sums varying from 30s. to 5s.

TOWNSHIPS OF STAMFORD BRIDGE EAST AND WEST.

Christopher Wharton, Esq.'s School, founded by will, dated 11th August 1787, for educating twelve poor boys and six poor girls of Stamford Bridge, as well of the East as West sides thereof ; but if not so many there, then to be made up from Gate Helmsley township. Endowment : dividends on £630 new four per cents., which are paid to the schoolmaster as his salary ; and he instructs the prescribed number to read and write, and occasionally arithmetic and English grammar. He also teaches a few pay scholars, making the number, at the time of the Report, about 30.

Wood's dole, vide Pocklington. 1s. 6d. per annum to the poor. -Vide 11th Report, page 724.

Post town: York.


References:
Torre's MS., page 1153. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 29. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Cattune), pages 66. 174. Burton's Monasticon, pages 29. 289. 331. 434.


Notes:
*1 And extends into Ouse and Derwent wapentake.

*2 Viz. High Catton, 221 ; Low Catton, 178; Kexby, 160; Stamford Bridge East, 385; and Stamford Bridge West with Scoreby, 151. -Stamford Bridge is partly within the liberty of St. Peter of York.


Other information:
KEXBY, a town in the parish of Catton, contained one carucate of land (ten whereof made a knight's fee), which town Thomas de Burdon held of Robert de Percy, and he of the heirs of Percy, who held it of the King, in capite, by knight's service, and sixpence rent per annum.

STAMFORD BRIDGE. -The town de Ponte Belli was held by Robert de Percy of the heirs of Chamberlain, who held it of Percy, and he of the King, in capite, by the service of one knight's fee and no rent.

Here the Prebendary of Osbaldwick hath a manor and mixed dominion, and all those tenements on the north side of the town as far as Over Girt Sutton ; also the tithe corn of the town of Stamford.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.