Hide

LOW CATTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"LOW CATTON, a parish comprising the townships of Kexby, and West Stamford-Bridge with Scoreby, in the wapentake of QUZE" and DEKWENT, and the townships of High Catton, Low Catton, and East Stamford-Bridge, in the Wilton-Beacon division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, and containing 973 inhabitants, of which number, 198 are in the township of High Catton, and 177 in that of Low Catton, 9 miles E.N.E. from York. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £21. 12. 83., and in the patronage of the Earl of Egreniont. The church is dedicated to All Saints. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."


"EAST STAMFORD BRIDGE, a township partly in the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, but chiefly in that part of the parish of LOW CATTON, which is in the Wilton- Beacon division, of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, 8 miles E.N.E. from York, containing 298 inhabitants."


"KEXBY, a township in that part of the parish of LOW CATTON, which is in the wapentake of OUZE-AND-DERWENT, East riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles E. from York, containing 149 inhabitants."


"SCOREBY, a township, joint with West Stamford- Bridge, in that part of the parish of LOW CATTON, which is in the wapentake of OUZE-and-DERWENT, East riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles N.E. from York, The population is returned with West Stamford-Bridge."


"WEST STAMFORD BRIDGE, a township, joint with Scoreby, in that part of the parish of LOW CATTON, which is in the wapentake of OUZE-and-DERWENT, East riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles E.N.E. from York, containing, with Scoreby, 151 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan. Methodists. The river Derwent separates this township from that of East Stamford. Christopher Wharton, in 1787, gave £600 in support of a school, for twelve boys and six girls; the annual income is about £30, and the expense of the school-house, erected in 1795, was defrayed out of previous accumulations. The celebrated battle between Harold and Tosti, in 1066, was fought near this place."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]