LOW CATTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"LOW CATTON, a parish, partly in the Wilton Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, and partly in the wapentake of Ouse and Derwent, in the East Riding of the county of York, 9 miles to the E. of York, its post town. It is situated on the river Derwent, and is intersected by the York and Market Weighton branch of the North-Eastern railway, on which there is a station at Stamford Bridge. The parish comprises the townships of High Catton, Low Catton, East Stamford Bridge, West Stamford Bridge, and the chapelry of Kexby, of which the first three are in the wapentake of Harthill, and the last two in that of Ouse and Derwent. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York, value £410, in the patronage of Lord Leconfield. The church is dedicated to All Saints. There are a chapel for Wesleyan Methodists and a free school endowed with £25 per annum."
"KEXBY, a township in the parish of Low Catton, wapentake of Ouse, East Riding county York, 6 miles S.E. of York, its post town. It is situated on the banks of the river Derwent, which is here crossed by a bridge. The township is of considerable extent, and but sparsely inhabited. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of York, value £120, in the patronage of Lord Wenlock. The church, dedicated to St. Paul, is a modern structure with a spire. In the interior is a stained-glass window. There is a parochial school supported by Lord Wenlock, who is lord of the manor and owner of nearly the whole of the soil."
"SCOREBY, a hamlet in the parish of Low Catton, wapentake of Ouse and Derwent, East Riding county York, 7 miles N.E. of York. It is in conjunction with West Stamford-Bridge to form a township."
"STAMFORD BRIDGE, (East and West) townships in the parish of Low Catton, East Riding county York, 8 miles N.E. of York. Wharton's school is situated here."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013