Hide

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Low Catton:

hide
Hide
Hide


"BURTONFIELDS, an ancient farm house in the township of Stamford Bridge, East, and parish of Low Catton; 5 miles from Pocklington,"


"HIGH CATTON, a village, in the parish of Low Catton; ¾ mile E. of Low Catton, 7½ miles S. from York. Population, 198."


"KEXBY, in the parish of Low Catton, and wapentake of Ouse and Derwent; 1¾ miles S. of Low Catton, 6 miles E. of York. Pop. 149"


"SCOREBY, in the parish of Low Catton, and wapentake of Ouse & Derwent; ¾ mile SW. of Low Catton, 7 miles ENE; of York."


"STAMFORD BRIDGE, in the parish of Low Catton, wapentakes of Ouse and Derwent and Harthill, a part in the liberty of St. Peter's; 1¼ miles NNE. of Low Catton, 7½ miles ENE. of York. The river Derwent divides the village into two parts, called the East and West (the western part being in the North Riding, parish of Gate Helmsley), and the high road from York to Bridlington passes through it. Here is a small Methodist chapel, and also a school, free to a few poor children, endowed with £30. per annum. Population E. and W, including Scoreby, 449.

Stamford Bridge, called by the Normans "Pons belli" or Battle Bridge, from one of the most bloody battles, probably, at that time, ever known in England, between King Harold II. and Hardrada, King of Norway, in conjunction with Tosti, the banished Earl of Northumberland, who persuaded the Norwegian Monarch to undertake the conquest of England. This battle between two armies of 60,000 each, took place in September, 1066, only nine days before the landing of William the Conqueror; a detailed account of which is to be met with in Drake's Ebor. p. 53.

Stamford Bridge is also noted as being, according to Drake, p. 33, the ancient Derventio, although Camden fixes it at Aldby; both places are situated upon the river Derwent, and nearly at equal distance from York. The village of Stamford Bridge is situated on both sides of the Derwent."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]