The Ancient Parish of LOWTHORPE
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"LOWTHORPE, a parish in the wapentake of Dickering; (Lowthorpe Hall, the seat of William Thomas St. Quinton, Esq.) 5 miles NE. of Driffield. The church, dedicated to St. Martin (see Churches for photograph), is in the gift of the St. Quintin family, and the Rev. Thomas Ibbotson is the perpetual curate. Pop. 149.
In 1333, this church was made collegiate, viz. a rector, and six chantry priests and three clerks. No institution to it since 1579. The sum of 15L. 16s. is paid out of the Exchequer yearly, for serving this and Ruston Parva."
"CATTLEHOLMES, a hamlet in the township and parish of Lowthorpe; 2¼ miles S. of Lowthorpe, 5 miles E. of Driffield."
- Photographs of over 120 gravestones in Lowthorpe Churchyard with linked surname index..
- Transcript of the entry for Lowthorpe in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Lowthorpe.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Lowthorpe to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA083605 (Lat/Lon: 54.029133, -0.348129), Lowthorpe which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (TA074612) The Elms
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish