The Ancient Parish of MAPPLETON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"MAPPLETON, a parish in the wapentake of Holderness, and liberty of St. Peter's; 3 miles SSE. of Hornsea. The church is a plain gothic structure (see Churches for photograph), dedicated to All Saints, and the living, which is a vicarage in the patronage of the Archdeacon of the East-Riding, is enjoyed by the Rev. Christopher Forge. There is here a small public school, erected in 1820 by voluntary subscription, and conducted on Dr. Bell's plan. Pop. with Rolston, 187."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- A History of Mappleton Booklet.
- A 54 page history of Mappleton Parish and All Saints Church from Roman Times to 2006.
- Recollections of past and present villagers.
- Many photographs from early 1900s.
Price £5.25 inc. postage & packing. All profits to All Saints Church.
- Photographs of over 150 gravestones and plaques at Mappleton parish Church with linked surname index.
- Photographs of over 30 gravestones and plaques at Great Hatfield Cemetery with linked surname index.
- Transcript of the entry for Mappleton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Mappleton.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Mappleton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA226439 (Lat/Lon: 53.87682, -0.1366), Mappleton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The World War I and II Memorial Plaques in Mappleton Church.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish