Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: MAPPLETON. Church dedication: ALL SAINTS. Church type: Peculiar. Discharged Vicarage.*1.
Area, 5,180 acres. Holderness wapentake, N.D. -Population, 473 *2; Church-room, 150 *3 ; Net value, £58. This Church formerly belonged to the Abbey and Convent of Albemarle, and in 1230 was appropriated by Archbiship Walter Gray to the Archdeaconry of the East Riding, and a Vicarage ordained therein, in 1253.
Patron, the Archdeacon of the East Riding of York.
Impropriator, - Moiser, Esq.
No institutions since the Restoration. Dr. Breary made an augmentation of £8 per annum.
Torre gives a catalogue of Vicars to 1641.
Valued in the King's books at £4. 13s. 4d. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 292, and vol. xviii. page 93, it is stated : " Mappleton cum Rowlston: Little Cowden was anciently a parish, but we cannot learn that it pays any tithes at present ;" and in 1818, at £60 per annum.
Augmented in 1809 with £200, by lot. In 1811 with £300; from the Parliamentary grant, to meet benefactions of £100 from the Dean of Ripon, and £100 from the Rev. William Gee ; and in 1822 with £300 from the same grant, to meet benefaction of £200 from the Dean of Ripon.
An Inclosure Act was passed 10th Geo. III. (Great Cowden.)
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books, for baptisms and burials, commence in 1683 ; and for marriages in 1687.
Robert Brown's charity, by will, dated 5th May 1790. Dividends on £126. 5s. four per cent. consols, for purchasing 2s. - worth of white bread every other week for the poor, after divine service, in the Church, and in no other place, except some of the poor should be prevented attending through sickness or bodily infirmity, and the residue of the dividends to be distributed at Christmas to the poor, at the discretion of the minister and churchwardens.
Town Stock. -The sum of £6. 13s. belonging to the poor of this parish, is mentioned in the Returns to Parliament of Charitable Donations in 1786, and vested in the overseers. The Commissioners reported that it appeared from the old parish account books, that there was formerly a similar sum in the hands of the overseers at five per cent. interest; that the money was not understood to have arisen from any charitable benefactions, but was considered as Town Stock, and the interest was stated to have been always applied to the general purposes of the parish ; that for the last twenty years (preceding their Report), however, or upwards, no entries in respect to the interest were to be found in the overseers' accounts, and they could not ascertain what had become of the principal money. -Vide 9th Report, page 767.
Post town: Hornsea.
Torre's MS., (Peculiars), page 793. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 191. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Mapletone), pages 176; (Col-dun), 176; (Hedfeld), 176. Burton's Monasticon, pages 299. 386.
*1 Now held as a Perpetual Curacy.
*2 Viz. Cowdens, 146 ; Great Hatfield, 146 ; and Mappleton and Rowlston, 181. The population return of 1831 includes the whole of Cowdens Township, which is partly in Aldborough parish, and also the whole of Great Hatfield, which is partly in Sigglesthorne parish. In 1834, the population of the parish was returned at 420.
*3 In 1818, returned at 250.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.