MAPPLETON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"MAPPLETON, a parish in the northern division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, containing, with the townships of Great Hatfield (which is partly in the parish of Sigglesthorne) and Mappleton with Rowlston (which is partly in the liberty of St-Peter-of-York), and exclusively of Great and Little Cowdon, 314 inhabitants, of which number, 187 are in the township of Mappleton, 13 miles N.E. from Beverley. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £4. 13. 4., endowed with £400 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Archdeacon of the East riding of York. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has some portions of ancient architecture remaining. A school, for which the building was erected by voluntary subscription, in 1820, is conducted on Dr. Bell's system."
"GREAT COWDEN, (and Little Cowden) two villages in the parish of Mappleton, containing 146 inhabitants. Great Cowden is 14 miles, and Little Cowden 12%, N.E. from Kingston upon Hull. The living was a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese, of York, rated in the king's books at £2.13.4., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church has long been swallowed up by the sea, and the parish is commonly considered a township partly in the parish of Aldborough, but chiefly in the parish of Mappleton."
"ROWLSTON, a township, joint with Mappleton, in the parish of MAPPLETON, partly in the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, and partly in the northern division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, 14 miles E.N.E. from Beverley. The population is returned with Mappleton."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]