MAPPLETON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"MAPPLETON, a parish in the N. division of the wapentake of Holderness, East Riding county York, 13 miles N.E. of Beverley, its post town, and 3 S.E. of Hornsea. The village, which is situated on the coast, is chiefly agricultural. The parish includes the hamlets of Rowlston and Great Cowden, and part of the townships of Great Hatfield and Little Cowden. The soil consists of clay and marl. The land is chiefly arable. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of York, value £87. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a neat structure with a spired tower, containing one bell. The church has two stained windows. There are a few small charities and a Church school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is held. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Judge Brough, who presided as Judge of the Court of Admiralty on the trial of Admiral Byng, was interred here."
"GREAT COWDEN, a hamlet in the parish of Mappleton, wapentake of Holderness, in the East Riding of the county of York, 4 miles S. of Hornsea. In ancient times it formed a separate parish, but the land has been gradually encroached upon by the sea. There is no village, only a few scattered houses. The Holderness hounds meet here."
"GREAT HATFIELD, a township in the parish of Mappleton, and partly in that of Sigglesthorne, wapentake of Holderness, East Riding county York, 3 miles S.W. of Hornsea, and 9 N.E. of Beverley. It is a station on the Hull and Hornsea branch line of railway. The land is fertile, producing good crops of wheat, oats, beans, &c. At the junction of three roads is an ancient cross of Norman workmanship. The village is a small scattered place, and is a meet for the Holderness hounds. There is a small charity of 40s. a year for the poor. Lord Westbury is lord of the manor."
"ROWLSTON, a hamlet in the parish of Mappleton, partly in the liberty of St. Peter's, and partly in the N. division of Holderness wapentake, East Riding county York, 1 mile S.E. of Hornsey, and 14 miles N.E. of Beverley. It is joined with Mappleton to form a township, and is situated near the coast."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013