Hide

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Mappleton:

hide
Hide
Hide


"GREAT COWDEN, (or Great Colden), in the parish of Mappleton, and wapentake and liberty of Holderness, pleasantly situated near to the sea coast; ¾ mile S. of Mappleton, 3½ miles SSE. of Hornsea. Population with Little Cowden, 146.

The Church, a rectory, in the patronage of the King, is swallowed up by the sea, and the village is reduced to a few farm houses. Little-Cowden formerly contributed to the church of Mappleton, but is now annexed to Aldbrough. There is a list of the Rectors distinct from the Vicars of Aldbrough down to 1639."


"GREAT HATFIELD, in the parishes of Mappleton and Sigglesthorne, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 2¾ miles SE. of Sigglesthorne, 4 miles SW. of Hornsea. Population 127. This village appears to have been a place of some importance, from an ancient stone cross of exquisite workmanship, which stands in the centre of the place. There is here a burial place, but no place of worship, the Chapel which formerly stood in it having been destroyed by fire about a century ago. The site of the sanctuary is marked by a large monumental stone bearing this inscription:-

HERE LIETH THE BODY OF EXPOPHER CONSTABLE, A.D. 642."


"LITTLE COWDEN, (or Little Colden), in the parish of Mappleton, and wapentake and liberty of Holderness, pleasantly situated near to the sea coast; 2¼ miles SSE. of Mappleton, 3½ miles SSE. of Hornsea. Population included with Great Cowden.

The Church, a rectory, in the patronage of the King, is swallowed up by the sea, and the village is reduced to a few farm houses. Little-Cowden formerly contributed to the church of Mappleton, but is now annexed to Aldbrough. There is a list of the Rectors distinct from the Vicars of Aldbrough down to 1639."


"ROLSTON, in the parish of Mappleton, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; (the seat of Miss Arneman); 1¼ miles NW. of Mappleton, 2 miles SSE. of Hornsea. The Hall at this place is occupied by Miss Theresa Arneman. Pop. 54."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]