The Ancient Parish of MARFLEET
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"MARFLEET, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 3¼ miles E. of Hull, a small village situated near the Northern bank of the Humber. The church is a small brick building, erected on the site of the old one in the year 1708, and the incumbent is the Rev. Thos. Watson, curate of Bilton, Population, 127."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- St. Giles' Church, Marfleet, view 1. Obviously it's more important to be able to see the trees rather than the church!
- St. Giles' Church, Marfleet, view 2.
- St. Hilda's Church, Marfleet.
- St. George's Church, Marfleet.
- St. Bede's Roman Catholic Church, Bilton Grange.
- St. Stephen's Roman Catholic Church, Marfleet.
- The former Methodist Church, Marfleet, now demolished (With short history).
- The former Mortuary Chapel at Hedon Road Cemetery, Marfleet.
- Transcript of the entry for Marfleet in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Marfleet.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Marfleet to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA145295 (Lat/Lon: 53.749302, -0.265097), Marfleet which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish