Middleton On The Wolds
The Ancient Parish of MIDDLETON ON THE WOLDS
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"MIDDLETON ON THE WOLDS, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill; 8½ miles NW. of Beverley. There is in the church (see Churches for photograph) at this place a Saxon font, church dedicated to St. Andrew, Rev John Blanchard, rector; Abraham Hoskins Esq. patron. Pop. 441."
"KIPLING COTES HOUSE, a farm house in the parish of Middleton on the Wolds, and wapentake of Harthill; 2¾ miles SSW. of Middleton on the Wolds, 4 miles NNE. of Market Weighton. Races are held here on the third Thursday in March annually.
In the year 1618, five noblemen, at the head of whom was Lord Burlington, 19 Baronets, and 25 gentlemen of the county subscribed 360L. to the establishment of annual horse races here. They were held on the third Thursday in March, and are occasionally continued. Tradition says, that these are the oldest races in England."
- Photographs of over 130 gravestones in Middleton on the Wolds Churchyard with linked surname index.
- Photographs of over 280 gravestones in Middleton on the Wolds Cemetery with linked surname index.
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- St. Andrew's Church, Middleton on the Wolds. I took this photograph on a Sunday morning in June. The bells were ringing to bring the people to church, but the church doors were locked!!! You will note from the photograph that it has been decided that it is better to look at trees than the church.
- This is the best photo I could get of the Church from the road, you can only see part of the tower!
- The Methodist Church, Middleton on the Wolds.
- Transcript of the entry for Middleton on the Wolds in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Middleton on the Wolds.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Middleton On The Wolds to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE944495 (Lat/Lon: 53.933026, -0.563658), Middleton On The Wolds which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish