Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

hide
Hide
Hide
Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Source=h:/!Genuki/RecordTranscriptions/ERY/ERYChCollection.txt

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: MIDDLETON ON THE WOLDS.     Church dedication: ST. ANDREW.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area, 3,340 acres. Harthill wapentake, Bainton Beacon. -Population, 527 *1; Church-room, 400 *2; Net value, £917.

" Anciently a Rectory, of the patronage, and in the jurisdiction of the College of Beverley."

At the time of the Conqueror's Survey there was a Church and a Priest at Middleton.

In this parish the Prior of Watton held two oxgangs of land ; the Prior of Wartre, five oxgangs ; the Prior of Ellerton, one oxgang; the house of St. Giles of Beverley, five oxgangs ; the Church of St. Peter of York, three oxgangs ; the Prioress of Yugne, one oxgang ; and the Archbishop of Canterbury, six carucates.

The presentation has passed through various hands since the Dissolution. The Crown presented up to 1588 ; in 1601, Thomas Bennington, Esq. presented ; and Sir John Crompton in 1617, it then came to the Manbys, and in 1703 to the Breareys.

Present Patron, the Rev. J. Blanchard.

Torre mentions an ordination of a Vicarage, made by John de Chishull, provost of Beverley, on the 18th Kal. Maij, A.D. 1273, but it does not appear to have taken effect.

Torre gives an imperfect list of the Rectors.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £28. 13s. 4d, ; in the King's books, at £15. 3s. 4d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 335, it is stated : " Rectory worth £140 per annum, two oxgangs.

" The Rector of Middleton on the Wolds is entitled to the tithes of a certain piece of land called 'The Twelve Oxgangs', lying in the Flatts, and of the two closes called Swang Close and South Close." Brearey v. Manby, 3 Wood, page 43.

24th April 1741, faculty to erect a gallery.

30th July 1818, ditto to re-pew the Church and make certain alterations therein.

10th November 1830, ditto to take down the wooden tower and part of the western wall, and rebuild the tower and wall with stone, and to place battlements and pinnacles on such tower.

Jurisdiction. - In the Diocese of York. Vide Beverley.

An Inclosure Act was passed 43rd Geo. III.

The glebe house is fit for residence. It was rebuilt under a faculty granted 4th November 1809.

The Register Books commence in 1678.

Charities:
Wood's dole. Vide Pocklington. 3s. 4d. per annum. Distributed at Christmas amongst poor industrious persons of the parish who endeavour to keep off the rates.

Thomas Oxtoby's charity, by will. Interest of £40, distributed (with the above mentioned 3s. 4d.) to poor persons of the parish not receiving parochial assistance. -Vide 10th Report, page 661.

Post town: Market Weighton.


References:
Torre's MS., (Peculiars), page 624. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 66. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Middeltun), pages 11. 57. 79. 236. Burton's Monast. page 385.


Notes:
*1 In 1834, the Population was returned at 490.

*2 In 1818 the Church-room was returned at 406.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.