Hide

Middleton On The Wolds, Yorkshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide
Hide

MIDDLETON ON THE WOLDS:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"MIDDLETON ON THE WOLDS, a parish in the Bainton-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, East Riding county York, 8½ miles N.W. of Beverley, its post town, and the same distance S.W. of Driffield. The parish, which is extensive, is situated on the Wolds, and is wholly agricultural. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments under an Enclosure Act in 1803. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £917. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a stone structure with a square tower, containing three bells. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. There is a school for both sexes. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. The Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013