Middleton On The Wolds Parish information from Bulmers' 1892.
MIDDLETON ON THE WOLDS:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.
Wapentake of Harthill (Bainton Beacon Division) - County Council Electoral Division of Bainton - Petty Sessional Division of Bainton Beacon - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Driffield - Rural Deanery of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
This is a long narrow parish extending from east to west 5¼ miles, and having an average breadth of 1¼ miles. It is bounded on the north by the parishes of Bainton, North Dalton, and Warter; on the west by Londesborough; on the south by Lund; and on the east by Kilnwick-on-the-Wolds. Its superficial extent is 3,664 acres; rateable value £4,268; and it had in 1891, a population of 678. The surface is agreeably diversified, and the soil, chalk, sand, and gravel. Chalkstone is quarried in several places, and burnt into lime for agricultural purposes. The principal landowners are the Earl of Londesborough, who is lord of the manor; Colonel A. Brooksbank, Middeton Hall; the rector of the parish; Sir C. Legard, Bart., Ganton Hall; Charles Wilson, Esq., M.P., Warter Priory; Mr. Wilsh Crowe, Mr. Ed. Moor, Beverley; Mr. Wm. Scruton, Middleton Lodge; Mr. Jabez Witty; and W. Topham, Esq., Kirkburn. The manor, with a large portion of the land, formerly belonged to the Boyles, Earls of Burlington, from whom it passed, by the marriage of the heiress, to the Duke of Devonshire. It was purchased by an ancestor of the present Earl of Londesborough.
The village is pleasantly situated in a valley, about nine miles north-west of Beverley, and eight south-west of Driffield. The new line of railway from Driffield to Market Weighton skirts the village, and places it in communication with the North-Eastern system. The church of St. Andrew is an ancient stone edifice, built in the latter part of the Norman era, on the site of one mentioned in Domesday Book. It consists of a chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, and western tower containing five bells, and a clock presented by an anonymous donor. The chancel, which is unusually long, measuring 40 feet by 21 feet, was erected about the year 1280, and the nave about 1360. The church underwent a thorough restoration in 1873, at a cost of £3,000. The tower, which had been erected in 1830, in lieu of a small octagonal turret with dwarfed spire added in the previous century, was rebuilt, as also were the walls of the aisles; and new roofs were placed on the nave and chancel, which were at the same time re-seated with pitchpine benches. All the old and interesting features have been retained. In the chancel are three ancient sedilia, the piscina, and a curious aumbry. The font is supposed to be the work of the 12th century. The circular basin rests on eight attached columns, and above one are carved three stars. Four pointed arches divide the nave from the aisles on each side. These spring from pillars which were formerly alternately circular and octagonal, but are now with a single exception all circular. The east window of three lights is filled with stained-glass, representing the types of the Old and the antitypes of the New Testament. Three windows in the south aisle are memorials of Ann Crowe, who died in 1852 William Crowe, who died in 1843, and Ann Crowe, who died in 1882. The windows of the north aisle are all plain glass, as is also the west window of the nave. The pulpit is carved oak, and the reredos is of the same material in beautiful panel work. There are tablets on the walls of the chancel to the memory of the Revs., C.S. and Edward Brearey, and the Rev. John Blanchard, former rectors of the parish. The churchyard was enlarged in 1860. There are four ancient tombstones here; three of them bear incised crosses, and the fourth, which rests on six small pillars (modern), has the figure of a man rudely carved upon it. These stones were brought from Kiplingcotes, and are believed to date from the middle of the 12th century. The figure is supposed to be that of the founder of the church. Another tombstone, interesting from its antiquity, covers the remains of the Rev. M. Crouch, M.A., who died in 1660. The organ, a very fine instrument, purchased at a cost of £200, was presented in- 1876. The register dates from the year 1678.
The living is an ancient rectory, the patronage of which belonged to the provost of the collegiate church of Beverley. After the dissolution of religious houses, the Crown presented till 1601, when the patronage was exercised by Thos. Bennington. A few years later Sir John Crompton presented; the next patrons were the Manbys; then followed the Breareys, three of whom were successively rectors. The next patron was Abraham Hoskins, Esq., whose daughter married the Rev. John Blanchard, grandfather of the present patron and rector. Its yearly value, when the Liber Regis was compiled, was £15 3s. 4d., but it is now worth about £920. The tithes were commuted at the inclosure, in 1805, for 890 acres of land. The Rectory House is a commodious and handsome residence, built in 1867, at a cost of £3,000. It is surrounded by spacious and beautifully laid-out grounds.
There are chapels in the village belonging to the Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. The former sect has been established here since the beginning of the century, and has another small chapel at Middleton Cottages. The National School was erected in 1872, at a cost of £960. It has accommodation for 130 children, and is attended by 88.
The stocks stood in the village until a few years ago, and were used for the last time, as an instrument of punishment, in June, 1854, when a man was placed in them.
At the western extremity of the parish is the winning post of the Kipling Cotes racecourse, which is said to be the oldest course in England. It is four miles in length, and extends into three or four adjoining parishes. The races are held on the third Thursday in March (see under Dalton Holme for a more lengthy notice). Near the Winning Post is Kipling House, and in the adjoining field human remains have been found. There is supposed to have been a church or chapel here formerly, and in the vicinity are traces of foundations which seem to indicate the presence of a village in bygone days.
CHARITIES. - The poor participate, to the amount of 3s. 4d. per annum, in Wood's Dole, a rent-charge of £10, left in 1568, and distributed equally among forty-four parishes. They also receive the interest of £40, left by Mr. Oxtoby.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]
- Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1892.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.