MILLINGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"MILLINGTON, a parish partly within the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, but chiefly in the Wilton-Beacon division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N.E. from Pocklmgton, containing 282 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Great Givendale, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean of York, lae is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Jonu Wilkinson, in 1801, bequeathed £200 for the education of ten children, and William Flint, in 1804, gave for teaching four others. Four ancient roads meet this place, which is supposed to be the Roman govicia, where are traces of a strong camp defended by immense earth-works, from sixty to ninety feet in height, carried indiscriminately over hills and vallies, and encompassed with four, and in some places six, ditches, enclosing altogether an area of four thousand one hundred and eighty-five acres, within which are several tumuli. About half a mile north-east from the village foundations of a circular temple and two oblong buildings, Roman pavements, tiles, coins, and various other relics of antiquity, have been discovered."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]