Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: MUSTON. Church dedication: ALL SAINTS. Church type: Discharged Vicarage.
Area, 1,860 acres. Dickering wapentake. -Population, 382 *1; Church-room, 172 ; Net value, £153.
This was originally a Chapel to Hunmanby, and was given therewith by Walter de Gaunt, to Bardney Abbey, but appropriated to the Priory of Thornton, and a Vicarage ordained therein in 1269.
Patron and impropriator, Humphrey Osbaldeston, Esq.
Valued in the King's books at £6. 10s.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 415, at £25 per annum.
A Drainage Act was passed 39th and 40th Geo. III.
The glebe house was returned, in 1818, as unfit for residence, it being then " let and occupied as a cottage," and returned unfit in 1834.
The Register Books commence in 1542 ; defective 1695 to 1699. Some entries are in the Hunmanby Book. Charity. -Trotter's gift, vide Filey.
Post town: Scarborough.
Torre's MS. page 927. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. ii. page 226. Bawdwen's Domesday Book, (Mustone,) pages 30. 191. Cole's Hey, pages 148-152.
*1 In 1834, the Population was only returned at 175.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.