Hide

MUSTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

"MUSTON, a parish in the wapentake of Dickering, East Riding county York, 8 miles S. of Scarborough, its post town, and 1½ mile N. of Hunmanby. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Hartford, near Filey Bay. It is wholly agricultural. Above two-thirds of the land is arable, and the remainder meadow and pasture, with a few acres of woodland. There are stone quarries. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £254 17s. 6d., and the incumbent's for £126 18s. 9d. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £256. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a small ancient structure, with a turret containing two bells. There is a National school for both sexes. The Independents and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. Muston Hall and Muston Lodge are the principal residences. Rear-Admiral Mitford is lord of the manor."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013