NABURN: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.
Wapentake and Petty Sessional Division of Ouse and Derwent - County Council Electoral Division of Escrick - Poor Law Union and County Court District of York - Rural Deanery of Bishopthorpe - Archdeaconry and Diocese of York.
This parish comprises 2,503 acres of land, lying on the east bank of the river Ouse. The surface is generally level, the soil loamy, and the subsoil clay. Wheat, oats, barley, and potatoes are the chief crops. The rateable value is £8,306, and the population in 1881 was 569. The Rev. George Palmes, M.A., who is lord of the manor; Mr. Edward William Dickinson, Acres House; Mrs. Lloyd, Lingcroft; William Mortimer Baines, Esq., Bell Hall; George Whitehead, Esq., J.P., Deighton Grove; Ambrose Walker, Gillrudding Grange; Lord Wenlock, Escrick Park; M. G. Wharram, Mr. F. G. Jackson, and Mrs. Belcher are the principal landowners. The Doncaster extension of the North-Eastern railway, opened for traffic in 1871, passes through the parish, and a station has been erected near the village for the convenience of the inhabitants.
Naburn, formerly a chapelry in the parishes of Acaster Malbis and St. George and St. Denis, York, was, in August, 1842, constituted a separate parish for all ecclesiastical purposes. In the time of the last Saxon king of England, Naburn was held by two proprietors, named Turgot and Turchil. After the Conquest, it was given, with 80 other manors, to Todeni, one of the Conquerors standard-bearers, from whom the Rutland family is descended. The next owners appear to have been the Watervilles, from whom it passed by marriage to an ancestor of the present owner, about the year 1226. Thirty generations of the family have resided here, - the manor passing from father to son successively, with one single break, when a younger brother inherited the property. The whole of Naburn formerly belonged to the family, but in 1775, John Palmes, Esq., obtained an Act of Parliament for the removal of the entail, and sold half of the estate.
This family was originally settled at Taunton Dene, county Somerset, where Manfred Palmes, in the sixth year of King Stephen (1140), had by the gift of Milo, Earl of. Hereford and Constable of England, 53 oxgangs of land and 25 messuages. This Manfred married and had issue Alexander Palmes, Esq., of Taunton, who married Rose, daughter of Adam Newmarsh, and had, with other issue, a son and heir, Jerome Palmes, Esq. This gentleman married Anne, daughter of John St. Maur, Esq., and was succeeded by his eldest son John Palmes, Esq., of Fontleroy, who married Anne, daughter of John Stourton, Esq., and had issue four sons. William Palmes, Esq., of Taunton, the eldest son and heir married Matilda, daughter (or sister) of Richard Watervill, with whom he received the lordship of Naburn, about the year 1226. They had issue Nicholas Palmes, of Naburn, Esq., who married the daughter of Sir Thomas Fitz Henry, Knight, of Naburn. He was living in the 19th of Edward III. (1345). The second in descent from Sir William, was William Palmes, Esq., who married for his second wife, the daughter of Sir Robert Vere. Then followed in succession, Nicholas, William, Brian, Francis, Thomas, and William. William Palmes, Esq., eldest son and heir of the last named William, married first Elinor, daughter of William Heslerton, Esq., of Heslerton, as appears by a Feofment and by the arms over the gate at Naburn Hall, and by her had two sons, Brian his heir, and Guy, sergeant-at-law. He married secondly Ann, daughter of Wm. Wilsthorpe, Esq., but had by her no issue. He was succeeded by his elder son Brian Palmes, Esq., who was also twice married, but had issue by his first wife only. He was a Justice of the Common Pleas, and died in the year 1511, as appears by the inscription on his portrait still preserved at Naburn Hall. Nicholas Palmes, Esq., of Naburn, the eldest son and heir, married Johane, daughter of Wm. Conyers, of Sockburn, who bore him a son and heir. His second wife was Susan, daughter of Sir Robert Waterton, Knight, of Walton, by whom he had further issue. Brian, his successor, married Johane, daughter of Sir John Dawney, of Cowick, but by her had no issue. He married secondly Anne, one of the daughters of Sir John Constable, of Halsham and Burton Constable, and by her had, with other issue, a son and heir, John Palmes, Esq., of Naburn. He married Jane, daughter of Sir George Dawney, Knight, of Cowick and Sessay, and was succeeded by his eldest son Sir George Palmes, Knight, who married first Catherine, daughter of Sir Ralph (or Robert) Babthorpe, Knight, of Babthorpe, by whom he had issue two sons and a daughter; and secondly Mary Scotton, of Crayke Marsh, widow of Roger Constable. His eldest son and heir, William Palmes, Esq., married Catherine, daughter of William Langdale, Esq., of Langthorpe, and was succeeded by his eldest surviving son, William Palmes, Esq. This gentleman married Mary, daughter of Sir Brian Stapleton, Knight, of Hirst Courtney, near Selby, and by her had, with other issue, a son and heir, George Palmes, Esq., born 1666. He married Anne, daughter of George Witham, Esq., of Cliffe, and was succeeded by his fourth son and eventual heir, George Palmes, Esq., whose wife was Frances, daughter and co-heir of Robert Plompton Esq., of Plompton. He was succeeded by his eldest son, George Palmes, Esq., who married Catherine, daughter of George Heneage, Esq., of Stainton, county Lincoln, but dying without surviving issue, he was succeeded by his brother John Palmes, Esq., who married, in 1775, Susannah, daughter of Mr. Thomas Wharrie, of Hull, and had issue a son and daughter. George Palmes, Esq., of Naburn, J.P. and D.L., born 1776, married in 1810, Margaret Isabella, daughter of Wm. Lindsay, Esq., of Oatlands, county Lanark. he died in 1851, and was succeeded by his second and eldest surviving son, the Rev. Wm. Lindsay Palmes, M.A., vicar of Hornsea and rector of Long Riston. This gentleman was born in 1813, and married in 1849, Marianne, daughter of Amaziah Empson, Esq., of Spellow Hill, Boroughbridge, and died in 1888, leaving with other issue, the Rev. George Palmes, M.A., of Balliol College, Oxford, rector of Elston, Notts, born March 17th, 1851, the present lord of the manor.
Naburn Hall, the family seat, and at present the residence of Mrs. Lindsay Palines, is an ancient mansion, restored and enlarged in 1870. It is pleasantly situated near the Ouse, and commands extensive views of that river.
The village stands about four miles south of York, on the east bank of the river Ouse, over which there is a ferry to Acaster Malbis. The navigation of the river was very considerably improved in 1727, by the construction of a lock and dam, at an expense of £10,000. This lock measures 9Oft. by 2lft., and 22ft. deep from coping. The tide ascends the river as far as this lock, and at ordinary high tides there is a depth of 11ft. 6in. of water over the sill, and a depth of 7ft. at neap tides. A new lock, l52ft. by 26ft., has been recently constructed, and was opened by His Royal Highness, Prince Albert Victor, on the 27th of July, 1888. At spring tides there is a depth of l4ft. 3m. of water over the sill, and 9ft. 9in. at neap tides. The lock will admit vessels of 400 tons. The owners are the Ouse Navigation Co. The river is now navigable for vessels of 300 tons burthen at spring tides.
The church of St. Matthew is a building of stone, in the Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch, and a western tower with spire, containing four bells. It was rebuilt on its present site in 1854, at a cost of £2,407, raised by subscription. The east window is a memorial of the late George Palmes, Esq.; a stained-glass window was placed in the south wall of the nave in 1889, by Mr. Ambrose Walker, in memory of a relative, and there are also memorial windows to Edward Lloyd, of Lingcroft, and Thomas Wharram. A new organ has been recently added in memory of the late Rev. W. Lindsay Palmes, and the chancel has been furnished with carved oak stalls by Amelia Vickers, in memory of her mother. The church stands near the village, and in the churchyard are several handsome monuments. The old chapel, which possessed only a private burial ground, stood within the grounds of Naburn Hall; it was taken down and rebuilt about 20 years ago, and is now used as the private chapel to the hall. Many of the Palmes family are buried here.
The benefice is a titular vicarage, worth about £80 a year, including 33 acres of glebe, and held by the Rev. Randall W. Vickers, M.A., of Exeter College, Oxford. The Rev. George Palmes is the lay impropriator and patron. The impropriate tithe amounts to about £49.
The Vicarage House is a commodious brick building, pleasantly situated within its own grounds near the church. It was erected about 12 years ago, at a cost of £1,750, raised by subscription.
The Wesleyan chapel is a neat stone-fronted structure in the Gothic style, built in 1857, at a cost of £418, exclusive of the site, which was given by the late Mr. T. G. Dickinson, of Acres House, who also contributed £75 towards the cost of erection. It will seat about 172 persons. The National school is a neat building of brick, with master's house attached. There are about 90 children in average attendance. The school is endowed with the interest of £200, left in equal sums by Messrs. Dickinson and Loftas. It also receives £5 per annum from Lady Hewley's charity.
Bell Hall, a spacious mansion of brick, in the Queen Anne style, is the residence and property of William Mortimer Baines, Esq. It was named after a former owner, who built the first house and lived here in the reign of Elizabeth. The present mansion was built by Sir John Hewley, Knt., in the year 1680. Sir John and his lady were puritans of a very pronounced type, and are said to have sheltered George Fox on more than one occasion at Bell Hall. Sir John was a lawyer of some note, and was for some time M.P. for Pontefract, and afterwards for the city of York. Lady Hewley, who survived her husband, and died in 1700, left the bulk of her wealth to charitable purposes, but Bell Hall was inherited by Sir John's nephew, Mr. Baines, from whom it has descended to the present owner.
Deighton Grove is the seat and property of George Whitehead, Esq., J.P., late captain in the Yorkshire Hussars. It is pleasantly situated within its own grounds, and has been considerably enlarged and improved by the present owner. Lingcroft Lodge, the seat of Mrs. Lloyd, is another very good house here.
Highfield, originally called Ireland House, is one of the oldest farmhouses in the parish. Acres House, the property of Mr. Edward William Dickinson, was so named from four fields here, called "The Acres," which were purchased by an ancestor of the present owner in 1652, for the sum of £150. The present house was built by George Dickinson, in 1774.
Charities. - Mrs. Emily Baines left £100, the interest thereof to be equally divided in money and coals amongst nine poor widows on St. Thomas' day. Sir John Hewley left £10 to the poor of Naburn, and John Hebden left £5 for the same purpose.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]
- Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1892.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.