[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"NAFFERTON, a parish in the wapentake of Dickering; 2 miles NE. of Driffield. The church is dedicated to All-Saints (see Churches for photograph), and the living is a vicarage, of which the Rev. John Ewbank, is the incumbent, and the Archbishop of York the patron. Here are chapels for the Methodists and Independents. Pop. 917.
This church was an ancient rectory, belonging to the patronage of the Percys, till Sir Henry Percy, Knight, gave it to the Abbot and Convent of Meaux, about 1304; a vicarage was then ordained for a perpetual vicar to serve the church; to have cure of souls, &c. Thomas, Archbishop of York, decreed that this vicarage should consist of 20 marks sterling, payable quarterly, by the said religious. This sum the vicar enjoys to this day, and which is paid by the lay impropriator.
In 1709, a Mr. John Baron, of Bridlington, left the sum of 5L. annually to the school here."
"POCKTHORPE, in the parish of Nafferton, and wapentake of Dickering; (Pockthorpe-House, the seat of William Hall, Esq.) 4 miles NNE. of Driffield."
"WANSFORD, in the parish of Nafferton and wapentake of Dickering; 1¾ miles SSE. of Nafferton, 3 miles E. of Driffield. Here is a considerable cotton and carpet manufactory, the only establishment of the kind in this part of the country, standing on the navigable river Hull. Population, 314."
- Transcript of the entry for Nafferton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Nafferton.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1829 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1834 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Nafferton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA055590 (Lat/Lon: 54.016236, -0.391377), Nafferton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (TA048609) Nafferton Grange
- (TA050624) Nafferton Kesters
- (TA053610) Wold House
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish