Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: NAFFERTON. Church dedication: ALL SAINTS. Church type: Perpetual Curacy.
Area, 5,130 acres. Dickering wapentake. -Population, 1,184 *1; Church-room, 380 *2; Net value, £139.
This town, containing fourteen carucates and two oxgangs of land, was held of the King by the Percies, in capite, and 8d. per annum rent.
The Church was given by Sir Henry Percy to the Abbot and Convent of Meaux, to which it was appropriated by Archbishop Corbridge, and a Vicarage ordained therein, 2nd Id. April 1304. Now held as a perpetual Curacy.
The Rectory, together with the Advowson of the Vicarage, was given by King Henry VIII. to the See of York, in exchange. There is an augmentation of £13. 6s. 8d., paid by the Archbishop's lessee.
Patron and impropriator, the Archbishop of York.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £63, and in his new taxation at £34. 16s. 8d.; in the King's books (where it is called a Discharged Vicarage), at £13. 15s. 4d.; Pension to the Abbey of Melsa 3s. 4d.; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. pages 12399, it is stated: " Wool and lamb, £9. 3s.; petty tithes £5. The value of provision rent in the time of the Survey, was £381. 16s. 8d. Wansworth, part of Nafferton Rectory, fit to be made a parish;" and, in 1818, at £97. 19s. 8d. per annum.
Augmented in 1780, with £200; in 1802, with £200; and in 1814, with £1,200 from the Parliamentary grant -all by lot.
An Inclosure Act was passed 9th Geo. III. (Nafferton and Wansford.)
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1653.
Poor's estate. 10a. 1r. 8p. of land, part of which was given by William Robinson, in order to carry into effect a devise under the will of his brother Thomas Robinson, dated 21st February 1698, which was defective in law ; another part was given by one Robert Moore of Hornsey. The rents are distributed among the most indigent and deserving poor not receiving parochial relief.
The town land. 11a. 1r. of land, under the management of twelve feoffees. It does not appear how the property was acquired. The trusts in the feoffment, dated in August 1737, are declared to be for defraying the common expenses of the town of Nafferton and the inhabitants thereof, and for their common good and benefit; and the income is applied, partly in affording pecuniary relief to the poor in need and distress, or in supplying corn to the poor in times of scarcity; partly in teaching, and occasionally apprenticing one or more poor children, and also in the repairing of the highways, or otherwise for the general benefit of the inhabitants. At the audit in 1821, there was a balance of £96. 18s. due to the trust, of which £70 was lodged in the Beverley bank, and it was in contemplation to employ the balance in building small tenements for the poor.
John Baron's charity, by will, dated 28th March 1709. rent charge of £5 per annum, towards a free-scool for poor children. The stipend is paid to a schoolmaster, who has also a house belonging to the town, but there are no free scholars. 3s. a quarter is paid for reading, 4s. for reading and writing, and 2s. 6d. for arithmetic. From twenty-five to thirty scholars. -Vide 9th Report, page 737.
Post town: Driffield.
Torre's MS., page 1009. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 227. Mon. Angl., vol. vi. pages 396. 398. Bawdwen's Domesday Book, (Nadfar-tone,) pages 30. 171. Burton's Monast. pages 74. 236.
*1 Viz. Nafferton 1032, and Wansford 152. in 1834, the Population was returned at 1,278.
*2 In 1818, the Church-room was returned at 1,000.
WANSFORD. -July 2nd 1330, Elias de Wandesford, clerk, having at his own cost founded to the honour of St. Mary the Virgin and St. Nicholas, in this place, where sometime a Chapel was built, but then ruinous, and time out of mind was always accounted a Chapel dependant on the parish church of Nafferton. And whereas sacramentals and other divine offices were formerly administered to by virtue of the King's license, gave certain lands for the maintenance of a Chaplain to celebrate divine offices therein as a Chantry. This Chapel was disused before Archbishop Sharp's time.
January 25th 1354, at the instance of the Abbot and Convent of Meaux, the inhabitants of Wandesford were inhibited from burying their dead in the Chapel or Chapel-yard of Wandesford, which before, by reason of the plague time, they had license granted to them so to do, by Archbishop Zouch.
Poor's money, 13s. for Wansford, being the amount of several old benefactions. The interest is annually distributed among poor widows. -Vide 9th Report, page 739.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.