Hide

NAFFERTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.

hide
Hide
Hide

"NAFFERTON, is a township, in the parish of its name, and wapentake of Dickering, East Riding, about 2 miles e.n.e. from Great Driffield, on the road to Bridlington. The places of worship are the parish church, dedicated to All Saints, and a chapel each for independents and Wesleyan methodists. The living of Nafferton is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the Archbishop of York, and incumbency of the Rev. Evan Morgan. The parish contained, at the last census, 1,184 inhabitants, and the township 1,032 of that number.
Please see Great Driffield Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this township."


"WANSFORD, is a small village and township in the parish of Nafferton, pleasantly situated 3 miles s. by e. from Driffield; close to a fine stream of water, abounding with trout, a great attraction to the lovers of angling, many of whom visit this village from a considerable distance; for the convenience of such, the Trout Inn affords every accommodation. The principal trade establishment here, is that belonging to Messrs. Oxtobys' and Bainton, bone dust manufacturers and corn and seed merchants, who have also works at Foston. The population of this township, has been decreasing for many years past; the number of inhabitants in it, at the last census, was 152
Please see Great Driffield Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this township."

[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]