NAFFERTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"NAFFERTON, a parish in the wapentake of DICKERING, East riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Nafferton andWansford, and containing 1261 inhabitants, of which number, 917 are in the township of Nafferton, 2 miles E.N.E. from Great Driffield. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £13. 15. 4., endowed with £400 royal bounty, and £1200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The church is dedicated to All Saints. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyan Methodists. Rope, twine, and linen-cloth, are manufactured here. John Baron, in 1709, gave a rent-charge of £5, for teaching children."
"WANSFORD, a township in the parish of NAFFERTON, wapentake of DICKERING, East riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles E.S.E. from Great Driffield, containing 344 inhabitants, many of whom are employed in the manufactures of cotton goods and carpets; the latter establishment, which is situated on the navigable river Hull, is the only one of the kind in this part of the kingdom. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan, Methodists."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]