[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"NORTH CAVE, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill, and liberty of St. Peter's; (Low Hall, the seat of the Rev. John Petch.) 2 miles NW. of South Cave. The lordships of North and South Cave, were given by William the Conqueror, to Jordayne, who after the custom of those times took the surname of Cave. The Methams of Metham, had formerly a seat here which is now pulled down. Here is a church of the establishment (see Churches for photograph), dedicated to All Saints, of which R. C. Burton, Esq. is patron with a chapel for the Methodists and another for the Society of Friends. Population, 783."
"DREWTON, in the parish of North Cave, and wapentake of Harthill; 1¼ miles ENE. of North Cave, 1 mile N. of South Cave. Population, with Everthorpe, 177."
"EVERTHORPE, in the parish of North Cave, and wapentake of Harthill; 1 mile ESE. of North Cave, 2 miles WNW. of South Cave, Population, with Drewton, 177."
"SOUTH CLIFFE, in the parish of North Cave and wapentake of Harthill; 2½ miles NNW. of North Cave, 3½ miles S. of Market Weighton. Population, 131. A Chapel of Ease to North Cave."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of the over 210 gravestones and plaques at North Cave with linked surname index (this excludes the Churchyard Extension).
- Transcript of the entry for North Cave in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of North Cave.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from North Cave to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE893325 (Lat/Lon: 53.781179, -0.646252), North Cave which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish