Hide

NORTH CAVE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"NORTH CAVE, a parish in the Hunsley-Beacon division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of North Cave, South Cliff, and Drewton with Everthorp, and containing 10Q1% inhabitants, of which number, 7'83 are in the township of North Cave, 6 miles S.E. from Market-Weighton. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £10. 7- 6., and in the patronage of Henry Barton, Esq. The church is dedicated to All Saints. There are places of worship for the Society of Friends and Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. Four poor children are educated free, for the use of a school-room, which was erected by subscription."


"DREWTON, a township, joint with Everthorp, in the parish of NORTH-CAVE, Hunsley-Beacon division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, 1 mile N.W. from South Cave, containing 177 inhabitants."


"EVERTHORP, a township, joint with Drewton, in the parish of NORTH-CAVE, Hunsley-Beacon division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, 1 mile W.N.W. from South Cave, containing 177 inhabitants."


"SOUTH CLIFFE, a township in the parish of NORTH-CAVE, Hunsley-Beacon division of the wapentake of HARTHILL,, East riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S. from Market-Weighton, containing 131 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]