The Ancient Parish of NORTH DALTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"NORTH DALTON, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill; 7½ miles SW. of Driffield. Here is a small episcopal chapel dedicated to All Saints (see Churches for photograph), patrons J. Micklethwaite and Miss Corthins; also a Methodist chapel. Pop 398."
"BLANCH, a farm house in the parish of North Dalton, wapentake of Harthill; 2½ miles WNW. of North Dalton, 7 miles ENE. of Pocklington."
"NESWICK, in the parish of North Dalton, and wapentake of Harthill; (the residence of Charles Thorold, Esq.); 2¾ miles E. of North Dalton, 8 miles SW. of Driffield. Here is a national school for girls supported by the munificence of Mrs Grimstone. Population, 55."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of the 100 or so gravestones etc at North Dalton church with linked surname index.
- Transcript of the entry for North Dalton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of North Dalton.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from North Dalton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE936522 (Lat/Lon: 53.957431, -0.575013), North Dalton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The World Wars I and II War Memorial at North Dalton.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish