NORTH DALTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.
Wapentake of Harthill - Petty Sessional Division of Bainton Beacon - County Council Electoral Division of Bainton - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Driffield - Rural Deanery of Harthill - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
This parish is situated on the Wolds, and comprises, according to the Ordnance Survey, 4,635 acres, chiefly the property of the Earl of Londesborough, who is lord of the manor; Sir James Robert Walker, Bart., J.P., D.L.; John Binnington, Esq., South Field; and Thomas Binnington, Esq., Westwood House. The soil is chalky, and the chief crops are wheat, oats, barley, and turnips. The rateable value is £4,366. The population in 1881 was 489, and in 1891, 520.
The village is large, well built, and picturesquely situated in a deep valley in the Wolds, about 7½ miles south-west from Driffield, and 10 miles north-east of Beverley. In the centre is a large pond, with a pretty little island in the middle. The church, an ancient stone edifice, stands on an eminence near the centre of the village. The dedication - to All Saints - is, according to Archbishop Churton, indicative of a Saxon foundation; but the church, as it now stands, dates from the Norman era, and retains intact some of the work of its Norman builders. It consists of chancel, nave, and a low western tower with battlements. The tower is of later date, and the chancel shows a restoration in the Early English period, when three lancet windows were inserted in the east end. The chancel arch is Norman, with chevron ornament, and the south porch is of the same style, with three deep zigzag mouldings resting on as many clustered pillars with carved capitals, now very much defaced. The north door of the chancel is also semi-circular, but plainer. The font is circular, and of undoubted Norman workmanship. The interior was re-pewed in 1840, at a cost of £86 10s.; and in 1872 the fabric was restored and a vestry added, at a cost of £1,100. During the progress of the work, a splendid Norman arch and doorway and a leper's window were discovered, built up in the walls. In the south wall of the chancel are two recesses, formerly an aumbry where the plate and books were kept. There is one stained glass window, a memorial of William and Elizabeth Fell. On the walls are marble monuments to the Binnington, Dowker, Fawsitt, and Buttle families. The church will accommodate 200. The registers date from 1653. The living,. formerly a perpetual curacy, is now a vicarage, in the gift of Sir James Robert, Walker, Bart., and worth £125 a year, including 16 acres of glebe. It is rated in the Liber Regis at £9 6s. Sd., and was augmented between the years 1715 and 1819 with parliamentary grants amounting to £1,400, and in the latter year with £307 12s., subscribed by the patron and landowners. The present incumbent is the Rev. D'Arcy S. Morton.
The Wesleyan chapel, built in 1839, is a plain brick building, capable of accommodating 200 people. The Primitive Methodist chapel was erected in 1836, and rebuilt in 1867, at a cost of £300. It will seat about 200 persons.
The National School (mixed) was restored and enlarged in 1865, at a cost of about £100. It will accommodate 125 children, and is attended by an average of 70.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]
- Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1892.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.