[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"NORTH NEWBALD, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill, and liberty of St. Peter's; 3¾ miles N. of South Cave. The church is an ancient structure (see Churches for photograph), dedicated to St. Nicholas, with a tower in the centre, it has four fine arches at the entrance of the south door, which are in the Norman style of architecture. The figure over the south entrance is supposed to be that of one of the Priors. The patronage is in the Prebendary of N. Newbald. A sum of money left by an inhabitant of the name of Gill, was laid out in the purchase of land, the rental of which is distributed every New Year's Day to 20 resident parishioners, who have never received parochial relief; in the present year the dividend to each amounted to £5. 3s. Population, 543."
"SOUTH NEWBALD, in the parish of North Newbald, wapentake of Harthill and liberty of St. Peter's; ¾ mile S. of North Newbald, 3 miles N. of South Cave. Pop. 179."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- St. Nicholas's Church, North Newbald.
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of North Newbald.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from North Newbald to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE911367 (Lat/Lon: 53.818606, -0.617703), North Newbald which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish