Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for NORTH CAVE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

NORTH CAVE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.

Wapentake of Harthill (South Hunsley Beacon Division) - County Council Electoral Division of Holme-on-Spalding Moor - Petty Sessional Division of South Hunsley Beacon - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Howden - Rural Deanery of Howden - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.

This parish consists of the townships of North Cave, Everthorp-with-Drewton, South Cliffe, and North Cliffe. The last named township was added in 1887, and, together with South Cliffe, is in Market Weighton Electoral and Petty Sessional Divisions, and Pocklington Poor Law Union. The township of North Cave comprises an area of 3,027 acres. The soil is various, chalk in some places, sand, clay, and loam in others; the subsoil is chalk in the higher grounds, blue lias in the lower, and oolite in intervening lands. Colonel Edward John Stracey-Clitherow, J.P., of Hotham Hall, and Boston House, Brentford, Middlesex, who is lord of the manor, and the Governors of Giggleswick Grammar School, are the principal landowners. For rating purposes North Cave is united with Everthorpe and Drewton, and is assessed at £7,052. The population in 1891 was 1,006, a decrease of 129 since 1881.

The village, which is of considerable extent, is situated on the high road from Howden to Hull, 10 miles from the former place, 14 from the latter, and six miles south from Market Weighton. There is a station here on the Hull, Barnsley, and West Riding Junction railway, and about five miles distant, south-east and south-west are the stations of Brough and Staddlethorpe on the Hull and Selby branch of the North-Eastern railway. The church, which is said to be dedicated to All Saints, is a venerable edifice, partially overgrown with ivy. It appears from the style of its architecture to have been rebuilt in the 14th century, and consists of chancel, nave, north and south aisles, south transept, south porch, and a well proportioned western tower. The latter is surmounted by an embattled parapet with pinnacles, and contains a clock and five bells. The aisles and nave, which have an embattled clerestory, are separated by bays springing from four circular pillars. At the west end is a modern gallery containing a fine organ, presented by the late vicar in 1870. The south porch was rebuilt in 1753. The pulpit is of carved oak, and the reading desk and chancel fittings are also of the same kind of wood. The east window, of four lights, is filled with stained glass, in memory of Colonel John Christie Clitherow, who died in 1865; there is also a marble tablet to his memory, erected by his mother, Sarah Burton, of Hotham Hall. Other members of the Burton family have tablets to their memory. The Barons of Drewton are commemorated in monuments on the south-east wall of the chancel, and in the floor are two stones bearing the following rhyming inscriptions


"My Father a North Briton,
My Mother Rutlandshire,
From Dublin, I, their son
Hugh Montgomery, Esquire,
When my race is run
Shall rest me in this choir
In hope as he begun
God will raise me higher
aged 68, anno Dom. 1748."

The other, which has evidently been effused from the same poetic brain runs thus

"In this vault lies Barbara,
Hugh Montgomery Esqr.'s wife,
Who ne'er was angry in her life
As daughter, sister, wife, or mother,
You'll rarely hear of such another.
She died 26th May, in the 59th yr. of her age, 1747."

In a recess in the north wall of the chancel lies the recumbent effigy of a knight in armour, and on the opposite side is the figure of a lady. Both effigies are of alabaster, and are supposed to represent members of the Metham family, who were formerly owners of the manor. Sir Thomas Metham, Knight, was slain at the battle of Marston Moor, fighting against Cromwell's Ironsides, and Sir George Metham, Knight, the last of the family, died here in comparative poverty, and lies buried in the church. In the floor of the nave is a granite slab to the memory of the Rev. Canon John Jarratt, M.A., who died in 1890, at the age of 91, having been for 60 years vicar of this parish, and of Elizabeth, his wife, who died in 1889 at the age of 96. The registers date from 1670.

The living is a discharged vicarage, formerly in the patronage of the Meaux family, Knights, till William de la Pole obtained its appropriation to the Carthusian monastery he had founded at Hull, now in the gift of Colonel Edward Stracey-Clitherow, and held by the Rev. Walter M. Tomlinson, M.A., of Gonville and Caius Colleges, Cambridge. Its yearly value is £235, derived from glebe and tithes. The Vicarage House, standing within its own grounds, is a commodious residence of white brick, erected in 1823, and enlarged and improved by the late vicar.

The Wesleyans have a chapel here, built in 1839; and the Primitive Methodists erected a new chapel in lieu of their old one in 1870, at a cost of £804. It is a large brick structure, capable of seating 300 persons, with a Sunday school on the ground floor. The Friends had formerly a meeting-house here; a cottage now occupies the site, and in the adjoining garden may be seen the tombstones of departed Friends.

There are separate schools for boys, and girls and infants. The former, erected about 70 years ago, has accommodation for 100, and an average attendance of 45, and the latter was built by Mr. Burton in 1833; there is accommodation for 110, and there are about 65 in average attendance. The schools are endowed with 2 roods 32 perches of land, allotted at the enclosure of the common, and with 2 roods 19 perches given by Sir George Montgomery Metham.

Hotham Hall, long identified with the ancient family of Hotham, now the seat of Colonel Edward John Stracey-Clitherow, is a handsome mansion, standing in a park of 150 acres, about one mile north of the village. The principal entrance, which faces the north, is approached through a very fine conservatory. A west wing was added to the house in 1871.

The village feast commences on Trinity Sunday, and lasts three days, on one of which horse races are run.

The poor of the parish have the dividends of £1,000 in railway shares, left by Mrs. Sarah Baron, of Drewton Hall. The amount, between £40 and £50, is distributed in coals on the 23rd of January.

DREWTON AND EVERTHORPE form a joint township, comprising 2,114 acres, the rateable value and population of which are included in North Cave. Drewton consists of the mansion, South Cave railway station, and six scattered farmhouses, situated about two miles east from North Cave. The land belongs chiefly to Colonel Stracey-Clitherow and John Hodgson Atkinson-Jowett, Esq., of Grove House, Bolton, Bradford. It lies on the edge of the Wolds, and from the higher points an extensive view, embracing York Minster, Goole, Howden, Selby Abbey, the river Humber, and the Lincolnshire coast may be obtained. The Manor House or Hall was formerly the property and residence of the Moncktons, and afterwards of the Barons.

The name of Drewton is said to be a corruption of Druids' town, and upon an eminence here is a huge monolith, which is supposed to have been in some way connected with Druidical worship. It bears the name of "St. Augustine's Stone," and tradition avers that this spot the holy missionary preached the Gospel to the pagan Saxons. There is, however, no record that St. Augustine ever visited the north. The Roman road, which crossed the Humber at Brough ferry, passed through or near Drewton, and many Roman remains have been found here.

Everthorpe is chiefly the property of Thomas Stephen Whitaker, Esq., who resides at Everthorpe Hall, and is lord of the manor. This place elects its own surveyor and constable.

NORTH CLIFFE township, now in this parish, was formerly in the parish of Sancton, but, by an order in the Gazette, dated March 29th, 1887, was transferred to the parish of North Cave. It contains 1,305 acres of land, and had in 1891 a population of 110. It is valued for rating purposes at £1,271. W. H. Fox, Esq., of Bradwell Grove, Burford, Oxon. is lord of the manor and owner of the whole township. The late Mr. Samuel Fox purchased the estate from Sir William Worsley about 25 years ago, and the soil, which is naturally a poor peaty sand, has, during his ownership, been very much improved by draining and marling. The farmhouses have been rebuilt, and Mr. Fox has erected for himself a handsome residence called The Lodge. The village is small, and lies at the foot of an abrupt hill, about three miles south of Market Weighton. The old hall, with its wainscotted rooms, is now untenantable and fast falling to ruins.

SOUTH CLIFFE is another township in this parish. It contains 2,127 acres, of which about 500 are rabbit warren. The soils are a light sand, with some clay, and, like that of North Cliffe, has been much improved in late years. The Hon. Charles Langdale, of Houghton Hall, Sancton, Brough, is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The rateable value is £1,277, and the population in 1891 was 89. The village is small, and stands two-and-a-half miles north-by-west from North Cave, and about three-and-a-half miles south from Market Weighton. The old chapel-of-ease, rebuilt in 1782, was taken down, and the present chapel built on another site, by the late Samuel Fox, Esq., at a cost of upwards. of £2,000. It is a neat stone building, lined with white brick, and consists of chancel, nave, and organ chamber, containing a good organ. The chancel fittings. are of oak, and the pulpit is carved stone. It is endowed with a rent-charge of £50 yearly, payable out of Wholsea Grange Farm, for the maintenance of the fabric, organ, &c., in lieu of 13a. 1r. 15p. of land formerly held for a similar purpose under Vavasour's Charity. The change was effected by the late Samuel Fox, Esq., and sanctioned by the Charity Commissioners. The above gentleman was the first person buried in the cemetery attached to the chapel. A massive and handsome monument of granite is placed over the grave.

The School was built by the late Canon Jarratt, for the accommodation of 50 children, and is attended by 30.

The Manor House, once the seat of some members of the Langdale family, was rebuilt, in 1873, on a site nearer the foot of the hill, and is now occupied by Mr. William Kempley, C.C., farmer.

[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]

Directories

  • Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1892.


Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.