The Ancient Parish of NORTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"NORTON, a parish in the wapentake of Buckrose; ½ mile SE. of Malton. The church (see Churches for photograph) is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Mr. Ewbank, of which the Rev. John Richardson is the incumbent. At the foot, of the bridge, between this place and Malton was, pretty early in the time of Henry II., a hospital, dedicated to St. Nicholas, founded by Roger de Flamvill, and placed under the government of the canons of Malton. Population, 1017."
"BLACK DALE HOUSE, (now High Farm) in the parish of Norton, and wapentake of Buckrose; 2 miles SW. of Norton, 2½ miles SSW. of Malton."
"SUTTON, in the parish of Norton, and wapentake of Buckrose; ½ mile S. of Norton, 1 mile E. of Malton. Population, 87."
"WELHAM, a hamlet in the township and parish of Norton; (the seat of Robert Bower, Esq.); 1¼ miles SSW. of Norton, 1 mile from Malton, 11 from Sledmere."
"WHITEWALL CORNER, ham. in the township and parish of Norton; ¾ mile SSW. of Norton, 1 mile from Malton. This Hamlet being situated on the edge of the Wolds, excellent conveniences are made for the training of Race Horses."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of over 1630 gravestones and plaques at Norton with linked surname index.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- Transcript of the entry for Norton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Norton.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1829 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Norton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE794713 (Lat/Lon: 54.131426, -0.786375), Norton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish