"NORTON, a parish, and small town in the wapentake of Buckrose, East Riding county York, quarter of a mile E. by S. of New Malton, its post town. It is a station on the Scarborough railway. The village is situated on the E. bank of the river Derwent, which divides this town from that of Malton. The river is crossed by a stone bridge near the southern extremity of the town, and by a wooden bridge on the N. The parish includes the hamlets of Sutton and Welham, and has many buildings of recent erection. The town is a rising and flourishing place, consisting of one long and wide street, which is well paved and lighted with gas. It contains many good shops, and a court-house, at which the magistrates meet monthly. There are extensive steam flour and saw mills, also a malting establishment. Norton has long been celebrated for horse-training, which is still carried on to a considerable extent. The race-course is situated on the Wolds, where an extensive grand stand has been erected. There is also a cricket-ground. The soil is of a sandy nature, with a subsoil of sand and gravel resting upon freestone, which is extensively quarried. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £120. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is a Grecian structure, rebuilt in 1818, at an expense of £2,500. The interior contains numerous brasses and monuments of ancient date, also two carved oak chairs, presented in 1856 by Mrs. Bower of Welham Hall. There is a parochial school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is also held. Near the town is a cemetery of recent formation, enclosing a chapel. A great number of Roman coins have been found in the neighbourhood, and at the bridge over the Derwent formerly existed a hospital founded in the reign of Henry II. by Roger de Flamville. Welham Hall is the principal residence. R. Bower, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"SUTTON, a hamlet in the parish of Norton, wapentake of Buckrose, East Riding county York, 1 mile S.E. of New Malton."
"WELHAM, a hamlet in the parish of Norton, East Riding county York, 1½ mile S.W. of New Malton."