The Ancient Parish of NUNBURNHOLME
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"NUNBURNHOLME, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill; 3½ miles ESE. of Pocklington. The church (see Churches for photograph) is dedicated to St. James, and the living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. There was formerly here a small Benedictine nunnery, founded by the ancestors of Roger de Morley. The villagers show a mound, a little above the village, at the bottom of a wood, in a most romantic situation, as the scite on which the nunnery stood. Pop. 203."
"THORPE LE STREET, in the parish of Nunburnholme, and wapentake of Harthill; 2½ miles SSW. of Nunburnholme, 3 miles NW. of Market Weighton. Pop. 37."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of over 160 gravestones in Nunburnholme Churchyard with linked surname index.
- Transcript of the entry for Nunburnholme in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Nunburnholme.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Nunburnholme to another place.
- In 1876 the chapelry of Shipton in the parish of Market Weighton and the township of Thorpe-le-Street in this parish, were combined to form Shipton-Thorpe Parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE848480 (Lat/Lon: 53.921207, -0.710251), Nunburnholme which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish