Hide

Nunburnholme

hide
Hide

[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]

"NUNBURNHOLME, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill; 3½ miles ESE. of Pocklington. The church (see Churches for photograph) is dedicated to St. James, and the living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. There was formerly here a small Benedictine nunnery, founded by the ancestors of Roger de Morley. The villagers show a mound, a little above the village, at the bottom of a wood, in a most romantic situation, as the scite on which the nunnery stood. Pop. 203."


"THORPE LE STREET, in the parish of Nunburnholme, and wapentake of Harthill; 2½ miles SSW. of Nunburnholme, 3 miles NW. of Market Weighton. Pop. 37."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
Hide
topup

Cemeteries

topup

Churches

topup

Church History

topup

Church Records

topup

Directories

topup

Gazetteers

topup

History

  • In 1876 the chapelry of Shipton in the parish of Market Weighton and the township of Thorpe-le-Street in this parish, were combined to form Shipton-Thorpe Parish.
topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE848480 (Lat/Lon: 53.921207, -0.710251), Nunburnholme which are provided by:

topup

Societies

topup

Voting Registers