NUNBURNHOLME: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"NUNBURNHOLME, a parish comprising the township of Thorpe in the Street in the Holme Beacon, and the township of Nun-Burnholme in the Wilton- Beacon, division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, and containing 240 inhabitants, of which number, 203 are in the township of Nun-Burnholme, 3 miles S.E. from Pocklington. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £9. 12. 6., and in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The church is dedicated to St. James. Here was a small Benedictine nunnery, founded by an ancestor of Roger de Morley, Lord of Morpeth, who lived in the time of Henry III; wherein a short time previous to the dissolution were eight religious, it had a revenue of £10. 3. 3."
"THORPE IN THE STREET, a township in that part of the parish of NUNBURNHOLME, which is in the Holme-Beacon division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles W.N.W. from Market-Weighton, containing 37 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]