NUNBURNHOLME: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"NUNBURNHOLME, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill, East Riding county York, 3 miles E. by S. of Pocklington. The village, which is small and wholly agricultural, is situated on a branch of the river Derwent. It had formerly a small Benedictine nunnery, founded by Roger de Morlais or Morley in the reign of Henry III., which at the Dissolution had a revenue of £10 3s. 3d. The parish includes the hamlet of Thorpe-le Street. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £350, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is dedicated to St. James. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. There is a school partly supported by the rector."
"THORPE LE STREET, a township in the parish of Nunburnholme, Holme Beacon division of Harthill wapentake, East Riding county York, 3 miles N.W. of Market Weighton."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013