NUNBURNHOLME: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.
Wapentake of Harthill (Wilton Beacon Division) - County Council Electoral Division of Huggate - Petty Sessional Division of Wilton Beacon - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Pocklington - Rural Deanery of Weighton - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
This parish, which formerly included the township of Thorpe-le-Street, comprises an area of 1857 acres, and had in 1891 a population of 252. The rateable value is £1,758. The parish lies on the fringe of the Wolds. The surface partakes of the undulated character of that region, and in many parts presents diversified and picturesque landscape. The soil is mostly a strong clay, resting on chalk and gravel, and the chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, beans, and turnips. The Earl of Londesborough; Charles H. Wilson, Esq., M P., J.P., D.L., Warter Priory; Colonel Duncombe; and the rector are the landowners.
This parish receives the initial syllable of its name from a small nunnery which was founded here by an ancestor of Roger de Morley, lord of Morpeth, who flourished in the reign of Henry III. At the dissolution its revenues were valued at £10 3s. 3d. a year. The site was granted in 1542 to Thomas, Earl of Rutland, and Robert Tyrwhit, but every vestige of the conventual buildings has disappeared. The Manor House is supposed to occupy the site, and in the adjoining field on the north the outline of the cloisters is easily discernible.
The village is small but pleasantly situated on a small stream, three-and-a-half miles east of Pocklington, four-and-a-half miles north-west of Market Weighton, and one-and-a-half miles from Nunburnholme station, on the York and Market Weighton branch of the North-Eastern railway. The church of St. James (or All Saints, as its original dedication appears to have been), is an ancient building of stone in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, and western turret, containing two bells. The ancient piscina remains, and there are some fragments of stained glass preserved in one window. The font is very low and ancient, and is hewn out of a solid block of stone. The interior of the church is neatly furnished with oak seats for the accommodation of 120 persons. In the churchyard is part of an ancient cross, covered with sculpture; it was taken out of the wall of the church when the building was repaired.
The living is a rectory in the gift of the Archbishop of York, and held by the Rev. Francis Orpen Morris, B.A., of Worcester College, Oxford. The tithes are commuted for rent-charges amounting to £126, and there are about 130 acres of glebe. Total value £322 per annum, with residence.
There is a small Wesleyan chapel in the village, built in 1879. The National school was erected in 1854, for the accommodation of 50 children. It is mixed, and under the charge of a mistress.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]
- Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1892.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.