[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"OTTRINGHAM, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness, 6 miles SE. of Hedon. The church is an ancient structure (see Churches for photograph), dedicated to St. Wilfrid, in the gift of the Chancellor of the college of Oxford, and the Rev. John Mackereth is the perpetual curate. There is also a neat Methodist chapel built in 1815, and a small free school for 20 children. Population, 637."
"OTTRINGHAM MARSH, a single house in the township and parish of Ottringham; 1½ miles SW. of Ottringham, 4 miles from Patrington."
"SALTAGH GRANGE, a farm house in the parish of Ottringham, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 2½ miles SW. of Ottringham, 5 miles W. of Patrington."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of the over 480 gravestones and plaques at Ottringham with linked surname index.
- There was a church at Ottringham before the compilation of the Domesday book. In Pre-Reformation times the Church was served by Priests from the Monasteries to which at different times it was appropriated.
- Transcript of the entry for Ottringham in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ottringham to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA268244 (Lat/Lon: 53.700645, -0.080766), Ottringham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish