Area, 4,320 acres. Holderness wapentake, S.D. -Population, 627; Church-room, 450; Net value, £83. In Otteringham there was a Church and a Priest at the time of the Domesday Survey.
The Church was given to the Priory of Bridlington, by William de Ottringham and Richard his brother, and appropriated thereto by Pope Clement III.
The controversy between the Convent of Meaux and the Priory of Bridlington about the tithes here was thus agreed in A.D. 1294, viz, that the Abbot and Convent of Meaux should waive their privilege.
Patron, Frederick Watt, Esq.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £16. 13s. 4d.; in 1707, the Living was valued at £17. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 262, it is stated : " Vicarage, £34. Impropriation, £250;" and in 1818, at £39 per annum.
The Valor Ecc. mentions a Chantry.
Augmented in 1778 with £200; in 1810, with £200; and in 1816, with £1,200 from the Parliamentary grant, -all by lot.
" All the tithes are impropriate. The Curate has no part or parcel of the tithes. which are of the yearly value of £200, save a small salary of £15 per annum, paid to him by Mr. Francis Boynton, a Protestant gentleman, the impropriator, in right of his wife." Signed by the Curate ; name illegible. -Notitia Parochialis, No. 561.
In Archbishop Sharp's time, the impropriate Rectory was worth £250 per annum, out of which only £15 per annum was paid to the Curate.
Jurisdiction. -In the Diocese of York. -Vide Beverley.
An Inclosure Act was passed 31st Geo. II.
No glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1559. Deficient in 1713. -Vide Transcripts at York.
The Church lands. This property consists of 99 acres of land, let at the time of the Report for £120 per annum, allotted on an inclosure in 1760, in lieu of open field land, for defraying the expenses incurred in the perambulation of the parish, for maintaining the road to the Church, supplying bell ropes, and for other purposes on account of the Church.
Webster's and Walker's benefactions. The sums of £5 and £35, formerly given for the poor, but many years ago (say the Commissioners) expended in building a poor house for the reception of parish paupers. No interest had hitherto been paid thereon, but it had been recommended that such interest should be paid in future out of the poor rates, and distributed to the poor not receiving parish relief.
Mary Fox's charity, by will, dated 25th October 1792. Interest of £100, and by deed, dated 7th November 1793, the executors assigned a mortgage for securing the same, and interest at four and a half per cent. of one twenty-sixth part of the rates, tolls, tonnages and duties to be collected under an Act passed 1st Geo. III. for amending the roads, &c., near Pattrington, to be yearly applied to and for purchasing books and other materials, and putting to school four poor children, boys or girls, chosen by the Curate, churchwardens and overseers, who are taught reading, writing, and arithmetic, and the Church catechism. The children sent are required to be not under the age of seven years, but at the time of the Report the four sent were from nine to twelve, and usually continued three years at school if their parents thought proper. -Vide 9th Report, page 769.
Post town: Pattrington.
Torre's MS. (Peculiars) page 229. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 151. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Otringeham), pages 59. 177, 178. Burton's Monasticon, page 236, 237. Mon. Angl. vol. vi. pages 287. 291.