The Ancient Parish of OWTHORNE
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"OWTHORNE, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 5 miles NE. of Patrington. This village, situated on the shore of the German ocean, has suffered much from the encroachments of the sea, which are averaged at from 1 to 2½ yards annually along the coast. The church (see Churches for photograph), dedicated to St. Peter, which was erected here by one of the benevolent Sisters; (so well known in the annals of history) on the night of February 16th, 1816, fell with a most tremendous crash into the bosom of the ocean. The living is a vicarage, of which the King is the patron, and the Rev. James Robson the incumbent. Population, 143."
"RIMSWELL, in the parish of Owthorne, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 1½ miles W. of Owthorne, 5 miles N. of Patrington. The church (see Churches for photograph) is a modern structure built in 1800, and the manor belongs to Geo. Liddle, Esq. banker, Hull. Pop. 129."
"SOUTH FRODINGHAM, a small hamlet, in the parish of Owthorne, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 2 miles SW. of Owthorne, 3½ miles N. of Patrington. The hall, once a stately mansion, with octagon windows of stained glass, is now in a state of ruin. Population, 71."
"WAXHOLME, in the parish of Owthorne, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 1 mile NNW. of Owthorne, 5½ miles N. of Patrington. Pop. 72."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of the over 115 gravestones in Rimswell Churchyard with linked surname index.
- Transcript of the entry for Owthorne in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Owthorne.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Owthorne to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA336285 (Lat/Lon: 53.735779, 0.023937), Owthorne which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (TA320287) Rimswell Valley
- A transcription of the School Timetables, around 1902-3 in Adobe pdf format.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish