[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"PATRINGTON, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 10 miles from Hedon, 18 from Hull, 25 from Hornsea, 57 from York, and 188 from London.
Patrington, an ancient town, supposed by Camden to be the Praetorium mentioned by Antoninus in his first Iter: and by Dr. Gale, to be a place, where Justice was administered between merchant and merchant. Drake differs from Camden, and considers the Praetorium to have been merely a moveable encampment, but where, is now impossible to determine; probably long since swallowed up by the sea. However, be that as it may, the inhabitants used to boast of their antiquity, and the former excellency of their harbour; which is now only a small creek forming a kind of a haven for small craft within a mile from the Humber; but there is no canal up to the town. From the churchyard and from several parts of the vicinity, are delightful views of the Humber, and its fertile shores as far as Spurn point, and the opposite shores of Lincolnshire render the prospect more beautiful.
The church, which is a beautiful Gothic structure (see Churches for photograph), in the form of a cross, and has a very lofty spire, which has long been a landmark for seamen on entering the Humber. The, spire, about 190 feet high, was not many years ago repaired at a trifling expense, considering its height, by a very ingenious workman, who erected his scaffolding half way up the spire, by means of a chain on hooks. It is dedicated to St. Patrick, from which Saint the town is said to derive its name. The patronage of the living is in Clare Hall, Cambridge, and the Rev. John Mansfield is the rector. Here is a Methodist Meeting House, and an Independent chapel. The market is on Saturday. Several small vessels trade from hence to Hull and London with corn chiefly, and many vessels are employed in the lime and coal trade from the West Riding. A navigable creek of the Humber, called Patrington Haven, comes within about a mile of this place. Patrington is supposed by Camden to have been the Praetorium of Ptolemy, and about sixty years ago a stone was dug up here, which has evidently formed part of a Roman altar. Population, 1244."
"ENHOLMES, a farm house in the township and parish of Patrington; 1 mile WSW. of Patrington, 1 mile from Patrington."
"PATRINGTON HAVEN, a hamlet in the township and parish of Patrington; 1 mile SSW. of Patrington."
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- Here is a composite photograph of St. Patrick's Church, Patrington.
- St. Patrick's Church, Patrington.
- The Methodist Church, Patrington. (The Church's website is here.)
- The Primitive Methodist Church, Patrington.
- The Primitive Methodist Church, Patrington Haven.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Pigot's 1829 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Pigot's 1834 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1829 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1834 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Patrington to another place.
- Here is a photograph of the unveiling of the Roll of Honour at Patrington in 1917, kindly supplied by Gill Thomas (nee Boyd).
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA315226 (Lat/Lon: 53.683315, -0.010381), Patrington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish