Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: PATRINGTON.     Church dedication: ST. PATRICK.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area, 3,180 acres, Holderness wapentake, S.D. -Population, 1,298 ; Church-room, 650; NET VALuE, £628. The Manor of Pattrington belonged to the Archbishops of York ever since the gift of twenty-four cassets of land therein by King Knute to Archbishop Alfric, and here the Arch bishop claimed to have the assize of bread and wine, wreck of sea, and waifes.

The Church was of the patronage of the College of Beverley. After the Dissolution the patronage was granted to the Constables, but since 1725, the Master and Fellows of Clare Hall, Cambridge, have presented *1.

Torre gives a broken catalogue of the Rectors.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £41; in the King's books at £21. 2s. 2d. per annum ; Synodals, 10s.; Church of Beverley, £1, and £6. 8s. 4d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 261, it is stated: " The tithes are worth £163 per annum, glebe £20."

The Church has a lofty spire, which forms, says Mr. Bigland, a very conspicuous object in many of the Holderness prospects.

Jurisdiction. -In the Diocese of York. -Vide Beverley.

An Inclosure Act was passed 6th Geo. III.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1570.

Charities:
Mrs. Ann Watson's and the Rev. Nicholas Nicholl's benefactions, by wills, dated respectively September 1721 and 1772. rent charge of £2. 12s. per annum for the poor. There is also a rent charge of 26s. per annum, Watson's gift. (See General Charities.)

Robert Robinson's charity, by will, dated 17th June 1779. Interest of £26 for bread for the poor, weekly. This was at the time of the Report applied with the above charities.

BENEFACTIONS AND COTTAGES FOR THE POOR. -From entries in an old parish register it appears that other sums have been given formerly for the poor, viz., -Wringleton's, in 1650, £40; Captain Hildyard's, in 1685, £5 for the poor, and £5 for the repairs of the bell frames in the parish Church ; Frances Maister's, in 1707, interest of £10 to the poor on Christmas-day ; and Alderman William Duncalf's and Mrs. Hall's, interest of two sums of £5 each, to the poor on New-year's-day and Good Friday. The Commissioners reported that mention is also made of a further sum of £20 as belonging to the poor under the name of Town Stock, but of the acquisition thereof no particulars were known ; that the above donations amounted to £90; that £50 was laid out many years ago in the purchase of four cottages for poor persons of Pattrington, and the residue they understood was lent to the parish to be employed on other purposes, for its general benefit, at five per cent. interest, which is allowed out of the rates. That this interest, together with that of Robinson's, and the two rent charges first above mentioned, are thrown together into one fund, and the whole thereof, with 2s. added by the parish, was then laid out in bread, of which 3s. worth is distributed by the churchwardens every Sunday at Church after morning service, among the deserving poor of the parish frequenting the Church, and other distressed and indigent objects of charity.

Poor's Cottages. There are four cottages, one whereof (purchased as above stated) was burnt down several years ago; the remainder, with a small tenement adjoining, left, as supposed, by some person unknown, for the residence of poor widows, are occupied, rent free, by poor widows and other poor belonging to the parish, who are put in by the overseers. There is also a small garth adjoining, and partly surrounded by the cottages, of about a quarter of an acre, which is used by the inmates for a garden. -Vide 9th Report, page 770.

A post town.


References:
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 225. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 150. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Patrictone), page 43. Bigland's Yorkshire, page 441.


Notes:
*1 Viz. In 1725, 1734, 1772, 1781, 1782, 1790, 1803, and 1805.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.