Patrington, Yorkshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1868.
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"PATRINGTON, a parish, post, and market town in the S. division of the wapentake of Holderness, East Riding county York, 14 miles S.E. of Hull, and 50 S.E. of York. It is a station on the Hull and Holderness railway. It is situated near a creek at the mouth of the river Humber, and was formerly a port of considerable importance, but the haven, which is a mile distant from the town, has become almost silted up. It occupies the site of a Roman station, which Camden took to be the Prætorium of Antonine, and the point where the Roman road leading from the great Picts' wall terminates. The parish is of considerable extent, comprising 3,500 acres, of which two-thirds are arable, and the remainder pasture, except 40 acres of woodland. It was for a long time held by the Archbishops of York, but after the Norman conquest it became a distinct manor. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture, and a considerable trade is done in coals, lime, &c., which are imported from the West Riding. There are steam flour-mills, malting-houses, and breweries; and to the W. of the town are extensive flax-mills, with gas-works on the premises. About a mile from the market-place is a navigable branch of the Humber, which communicates with the town of Havenside. The streets are partially paved and lighted with gas from works belonging to the Provincial Gaslight and Coke Company. The petty sessions are held every alternate Saturday. The Poor-law Union comprises 26 parishes, or townships. The union workhouse is a large building, with a school-room adjoining,' where the board of guardians meet every alternate Saturday. Manor courts are held twice annually. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1766. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £628, in the patronage of Clare Hall, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Patrick, is a cruciform structure, with a spired tower, 190 feet in height, and contains a clock and five bells. The spire was restored in 1810, and the church in 1856. The charities consist of a hospital, founded by Miss Linsdall, of Winstead, in 1843, for four poor widows, who receive 4s. per week, besides several other small charities by different donors. There is a school for both sexes. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. Ruston House is the principal residence. There is a subscription library. An agricultural show is held yearly. William Marshall, Esq., is lord of the manor. Market day is Saturday, principally for corn. Fairs are held on the 28th March, 18th July, and 6th December, for cloth, shoes, and pedlery."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013