Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: PAULL.     Church dedication: ST. ANDREW AND ST. MARY.     Church type: Discharged Vicarage.

Area, 5,020 acres. Holderness wapentake, S.D. -Population, 739 *1; Church-room, 400; Net value, £160. -The Church was given by Stephen Earl of Albemarle to the Abbey of Albemarle, from whence it came to the Abbey of Kirkstall, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein, in 1250; and after the Dissolution, it was granted, in the 5th and 6th of Philip and Mary, to the see of York, and the Archbishop of York is still the patron.

Impropriators, H. M. Blaydes, Esq. and Mrs. S. Stovin.

No endowment is given by Torre. -The first Vicar mentioned in his catalogue was instituted in 1291.

The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, cum parva Thorn, at £16. 13s. 4d.; Vicaria ejusdem, £6. 13s. 4d.; in the King's books, the Vicarage is valued at £10. 0s. 4d. per annum, after deducting for Procurations, 4s., and Church of Beverley, 13s. 4d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 272, it is stated : " The Church being burnt at the Raising of Hull Bridge, since which time the people have assembled in the minister's house. The glebe and other profits of the Vicarage are worth together £43 per annum *2."

7th October 1822, faculty granted to re-pew the Church, and make certain alterations therein.

Inclosure Acts were passed 12th and 51st Geo. III.

No glebe house.

The Register Books commence in 1657.

Parochial Charities. -No return.

Post town: Hedon.


References:
Torre's MS., page 1607. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 157. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Paghel), pages 174; (Thorne Gumband), 174. Burton's Monasticon, page 299. Mon. Angl., vol. v. page 552.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Paul, 473; and Thorgumbald, 266.

*2 " The impropriator of the parish of Paul and Marfleet, in Yorkshire, is entitled to tithes in kind. -Waterland v. Parker." 2 Wood, page 36.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.