PAULL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.
"PAULL, is a village and township, in the parish of its name, in the south division of Holderness wapentake, 3 miles s.s.w. from Hedon. This place has decreased in its population since the discontinuance of ship building here. The parish contained, in 1831, 739 inhabitants, and the township 473 of that number. Preston, is a well built village and township, in the parish of its name, in the same division and wapentake as Hedon, 1 mile n. of that town. The church, which is dedicated to Allhallows, is a very neat and commodious Gothic building, and stands in the centre of the village : the living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the sub-dean of York ; the present incumbent is the rector of the parish of Hedon. In this parish there are many charities, left by pious individuals, for the education of the children of the poor, and the relief of the indigent. The vicar, churchwardens, and overseers of the poor for the time being, are the appointed trustees. The parish contained, in 1831, 957 inhabitants, and the township 843 of that number.
Please see Hedon Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this township."
"THORNGUMBALD, is a township, in the parish of Paull, containing, at the last census, 266 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]