PAULL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"PAULL, (or Paghill), a parish in the S. division of the wapentake of Holderness, East Riding county York, 2½ miles S.W. of Hedon, its post town, and 5 S.E. of Hull. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Humber. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the fisheries and in agriculture. The parish includes the townships of Paul and Thorngumbald. Near the river are the ruins of a fort, built by the Royalists at the siege of Hull in 1642. There is a lighthouse, forty feet in height, which serves as a telegraph station, erected in 1836. The parish formerly contained an extensive dockyard, in which several ships of the line, including the Anson, of 74 guns, were built in 1812; but the yard is now deserted. This place is celebrated for its shrimps. The soil is chiefly of warp and strong clay. Nearly two-thirds of the land is arable, the remainder meadow. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1811. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of Thorngumbald annexed, in the diocese of York, value £200. The church, dedicated to SS. Mary and Andrew, is an ancient cruciform structure with a tower containing one bell. It is situated on an eminence at a short distance from the village, and was restored and repewed in 1822. The parochial charities are of small amount. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. All that remains of the mansion of Paul Holme is an old brick tower, and a farmhouse erected from a portion of its ruins. High Paul House is situated on an eminence commanding a prospect of the Humber. Anthony Bannister, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"PAGHILL, a township in the parish of Paull, S. division of Holderness wapentake, East Riding, county York, 2 miles S.E. of Hedon. It is situated near the river Humber, and on the cliffs is a lighthouse, 36 feet high, put up in 1836."
"THORNGUMBALD, a township and chapelry in the parish of Paull, S. division of Holderness wapentake, East Riding county York, 1¾ mile from Burstwick railway station, and 2 miles S.E. of Hedon station. The village is situated on the Hull and Patrington turnpike road. The soil consists of clay and sand. Market gardening is carried on. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Paul, in the diocese of York. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure with a tower, the latter erected in 1768. There is a village school for both sexes. The Independents and Wesleyans have chapels, and the latter a Sunday-school. Sir T. A. C. Constable is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013