Pocklington, Yorkshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1834.


Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.

"POCKLINGTON, is a small market town and township, in the parish of its name, and in the Wilton Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, East Riding, 195 miles from London, 26 n.w. from Hull, 17 n.e. from Driffield, 13 e. from York, and 7 n.w. from Market Weighton ; situate on a small stream falling into the river Derwent, and within a mile of a canal, communicating with that river ; which furnishes the means of supplying the town and neighbourhood with coal, lime, manure and various merchandise, and of conveying to different places corn, flour, timber and other articles. The inhabitants here are chiefly concerned in agriculture, from which, together with the market and fairs, they draw their principal subsistence. The country around is tolerably fertile, flat in the immediate vicinity of the town, but hilly at the distance of a few miles, affording pleasing scenery. Robert Denison, Esq. of Kilnwick Percy (a handsome seat in this neighbourhood), is lord of the manor, and holds a court leet once a year. Pocklington is one of the stations, named in the new Boundary Act, for receiving votes at the election of members for the East Riding of the county. The places of worship are, the parish church, and a chapel each for independents, Wesleyan and primitive methodists, and Roman catholics. The church is a large plain building, dedicated to All Saints ; the living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Dean of York, and incumbency of the Rev. C. Hawkins: the resident curate is the Rev. Thomas Brown. Here is a free school, liberally endowed by a landed revenue ; the patronage of the mastership is in St. John's college, Cambridge, and the Rev. Thomas Shield, B.D. is the present master ; the number of scholars is unlimited : there is besides a national school. The market, which is well supplied with corn and other marketable commodities, is held on Saturday ; the fairs are the 7th of March, 7th May, 6th August, and 8th of November, for cattle ; the day after the last named fair is a hiring for servants ; and there are races on the second of May annually. The entire parish contained in 1821, 2,163 inhabitants, and in 1831, 2,265, of which last number 2,048 were returned for the township."

[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]